Re: Speaking of poems.

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 1980
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > I will leave off annoying the MereLewis list with this one in 1999 and give
      > it an outing here, as my greeting to the MythSoc list for this year:
      >
      > * * * * *
      >
      > So clear, so silver-shrill, aloft and far,
      > High over Narnia sings a star.
      >
      > He sings above, and here below
      > In Lantern Waste a lamp will glow,
      > Young fauns will sit in spellbound row
      > To hear a tale of long ago.
      >
      > And in Cair Paravel tonight,
      > The lamps are lit, the fires are bright,
      > The wine is poured, and rulers great
      > Sit in their wise and holy state --
      >
      > But all, like Lucy, with laughing heart
      > (For she has chosen the better part)
      > Now feel the rough embrace, now see the shining face
      > Of Lion's love.
      >
      > Father of Aslan, Emperor over Sea,
      > Send us, us too a light,
      > Here where our earth falls deeper into night --
      > A light from Thee.

      This poem is one of the reasons I'm glad to be on the Mythsoc list.
      Thanks so much. If you wrote this, congratulations, and if you didn't,
      who did? ---djb
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 1999
        Stephen Linhart wrote:

        >I have a question for Ya'll and I think this must be the best possible group
        >of folks to ask. I'm working on a series of digital collages inspired by
        >LotR. I just finished a series based on characters from A Midsummer Night's
        >Dream which I've produced as prints and I'm working on selling (you can see
        >those at http://www.stephen.com/dreams/ if you're interested). Now I'm
        >working on scenes from Middle Earth. Not story elements, characters or
        >famous locals; just little scenes that I'm collaging from photographs. For
        >example, a close view of an abandoned cart and a bit of stonework in
        >Ithilien, based on my mental image more than on the specific details of
        >JRRT's work.
        >
        >But here's my question... Is it ok (morally, legally, or whatever sort of
        ok)
        >for me to sell that picture as a print under the title "Cart in Ithilien"?
        >Or would that be inappropriately profiting from the LotR?
        >
        >Is there someone I would ask for permission? Do they take money for this
        >sort of thing? Or is it different if it's artwork?

        This is a complicated issue which really needs advice from a copyright
        lawyer, which I'm not. It's quite possible that should you try to sell, on
        a commercial basis, art based on Tolkien's work and using Tolkien's
        invented names, you would run afoul of Tolkien's publishers, or the Tolkien
        Estate, or Tolkien Enterprises. Tolkien is big business, protected by a web
        of copyrights and trademarks, controlled by different bodies created for
        tax or marketing reasons. Tolkien Enterprises handles licensing of most
        anything other than books that has to do with _The Hobbit_ or _The Lord of
        the Rings_, as an extension of the film rights owned by Saul Zaentz. They
        claim rights, for example, to "Ithilien", as well as to a host of other
        names of characters, places, and things in the two works. See their website
        at <http://www.tolkien-ent.com/new/index.html>. It might also be advisable
        to contact the Permissions department at Houghton Mifflin, Tolkien's
        primary American publisher.

        Good luck,

        Wayne Hammond