Re: [mythsoc] OT: Meritocracy (was Re: We're not all wild about Harry (or, of...

  • Ernest S. Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20, 2003
      On Sun, 18 May 2003 09:55:07 EDT, Stolzi@... said:
      > In a message dated 5/17/2003 6:18:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > nodens@... writes:
      >

      > > But Carl, this sounds like a ringing endorsement of Peter Jackson's films
      > > at
      > > best, or a justification for the Fox Channel at worst.
      >
      > We wouldn't even exist as a Literary Society, let alone give awards every
      > year, if we didn't have a collective belief in SOME form of excellence.

      But then, that Society would be pallid indeed if we all agreed on the
      measure of excellence. Adopt merely numerical measures, as seems to be
      the fashion these days, and J. K. Rowling is the greatest writer who ever
      lived and "General Hospital" the best TV show in the history of the boob
      tube.

      Ernest.
      --
      Ernest S. Tomlinson / thiophene@...
      "_Attack of the Clones_ was the most scandalous cinematic waste I have