Re: [mythsoc] Top 10 Things I Hate About Star Trek

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2003
      At 06:41 PM 5/16/2003 , Ernest wrote:

      >I was sort of trying to convince myself that there weren't
      >any seat-belts on Enterprise because viewers wouldn't have been too well
      >acquainted with them in the '60s, but I don't think that dog hunts.

      I believe, though I don't have evidence to show, that even when Trek
      Classic was a first-run show, this peculiar absence was noted. It is said
      that, during one shot when the actors were throwing themselves around the
      set to simulate an enemy attack, one extra did this so vigorously as to
      break an arm.

      >P. S. Is the "Trekker" neologism established, then? I still think of it
      >as a lame attempt to avoid the connotations of "Trekkie", a pejorative I
      >adopt with pride.

      My opinion is that is both: an established neologism _and_ a lame attempt
      to avoid the connotations of "Trekkie." There are two good definitions of
      "Trekkie": "All Trek fans of whom the speaker does not approve," and
      "People who call themselves Trekkers."

      - David Bratman