Re: Speaking of poems.

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 1980
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > I will leave off annoying the MereLewis list with this one in 1999 and give
      > it an outing here, as my greeting to the MythSoc list for this year:
      >
      > * * * * *
      >
      > So clear, so silver-shrill, aloft and far,
      > High over Narnia sings a star.
      >
      > He sings above, and here below
      > In Lantern Waste a lamp will glow,
      > Young fauns will sit in spellbound row
      > To hear a tale of long ago.
      >
      > And in Cair Paravel tonight,
      > The lamps are lit, the fires are bright,
      > The wine is poured, and rulers great
      > Sit in their wise and holy state --
      >
      > But all, like Lucy, with laughing heart
      > (For she has chosen the better part)
      > Now feel the rough embrace, now see the shining face
      > Of Lion's love.
      >
      > Father of Aslan, Emperor over Sea,
      > Send us, us too a light,
      > Here where our earth falls deeper into night --
      > A light from Thee.

      This poem is one of the reasons I'm glad to be on the Mythsoc list.
      Thanks so much. If you wrote this, congratulations, and if you didn't,
      who did? ---djb
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 1999

      • Stephen123@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 1999
          Hi Folks -

          I'm new here... though I was in one of the discussions in the lineage of this
          one, back in GEnie.

          I have a question for Ya'll and I think this must be the best possible group
          of folks to ask. I'm working on a series of digital collages inspired by
          LotR. I just finished a series based on characters from A Midsummer Night's
          Dream which I've produced as prints and I'm working on selling (you can see
          those at http://www.stephen.com/dreams/ if you're interested). Now I'm
          working on scenes from Middle Earth. Not story elements, characters or
          famous locals; just little scenes that I'm collaging from photographs. For
          example, a close view of an abandoned cart and a bit of stonework in
          Ithilien, based on my mental image more than on the specific details of
          JRRT's work.

          But here's my question... Is it ok (morally, legally, or whatever sort of ok)
          for me to sell that picture as a print under the title "Cart in Ithilien"?
          Or would that be inappropriately profiting from the LotR?

          Is there someone I would ask for permission? Do they take money for this
          sort of thing? Or is it different if it's artwork?

          Thanks. And Hi!

          - Stephen Linhart
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 21, 1999
            Stephen Linhart wrote:

            >I have a question for Ya'll and I think this must be the best possible group
            >of folks to ask. I'm working on a series of digital collages inspired by
            >LotR. I just finished a series based on characters from A Midsummer Night's
            >Dream which I've produced as prints and I'm working on selling (you can see
            >those at http://www.stephen.com/dreams/ if you're interested). Now I'm
            >working on scenes from Middle Earth. Not story elements, characters or
            >famous locals; just little scenes that I'm collaging from photographs. For
            >example, a close view of an abandoned cart and a bit of stonework in
            >Ithilien, based on my mental image more than on the specific details of
            >JRRT's work.
            >
            >But here's my question... Is it ok (morally, legally, or whatever sort of
            ok)
            >for me to sell that picture as a print under the title "Cart in Ithilien"?
            >Or would that be inappropriately profiting from the LotR?
            >
            >Is there someone I would ask for permission? Do they take money for this
            >sort of thing? Or is it different if it's artwork?

            This is a complicated issue which really needs advice from a copyright
            lawyer, which I'm not. It's quite possible that should you try to sell, on
            a commercial basis, art based on Tolkien's work and using Tolkien's
            invented names, you would run afoul of Tolkien's publishers, or the Tolkien
            Estate, or Tolkien Enterprises. Tolkien is big business, protected by a web
            of copyrights and trademarks, controlled by different bodies created for
            tax or marketing reasons. Tolkien Enterprises handles licensing of most
            anything other than books that has to do with _The Hobbit_ or _The Lord of
            the Rings_, as an extension of the film rights owned by Saul Zaentz. They
            claim rights, for example, to "Ithilien", as well as to a host of other
            names of characters, places, and things in the two works. See their website
            at <http://www.tolkien-ent.com/new/index.html>. It might also be advisable
            to contact the Permissions department at Houghton Mifflin, Tolkien's
            primary American publisher.

            Good luck,

            Wayne Hammond