steatopygia

  • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 1999
      Yes that's what we came up with by other routes, good to have it confirmed.
      Thanks

      Lizzie
    • Kim F. Holec
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 1999
        Interestingly enough, this showed up today:

        Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:03:54 -0500
        :
        From: Wordsmith <wsmith@...>
        To: linguaphile@...
        Subject: A.Word.A.Day--steatopygia

        steatopygia (stee-at-uh-pij-ee-uh) noun

        An extreme accumulation of fat on the buttocks.

        [Steato- fat + Greek puge, rump + -ia.]

        "No one had told her that all that keeping still encouraged the growth
        of an uncommonly large posterior and by the time Sally thought of taking
        more exercise, steatopygia had set in for good ...."
        Wicomb, Zoe, Untitled extract. (excerpt from a novel in progress),
        World Literature Today, 1 Jan 1996.

        This week's theme: words related to the human body, its actions and conditions.

        The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have
        any. -Alice Walker (1944-)

        Want to share your love of words with a family member or a friend? You can
        send a gift subscription of AWAD at http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/gift.html
        Before you sign anyone up, please make sure s/he will appreciate your
        gesture.

        Pronunciation:
        http://www.wordsmith.org/words/steatopygia.wav
        http://www.wordsmith.org/words/steatopygia.ram