Re: [mythsoc] We're not all wild about Harry (or, of course, owls)

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2003
      From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

      > (SOME feminists: others think Rowling's books
      > are perfectly admirable, and I know there are some real fans of Mrs.
      > Weasley out there.)

      As one of them, I have to make my case. I just finished re-reading _Harry
      Potter and the Goblet of Fire_. She's a firecracker, she is. She was at
      Gryffindor herself as a student, so that means she's brave. I like the way
      she's so protective of her own children but is also watching out for Harry.
      She's the only adult to show him any love. She pointedly embraces him in
      front of his uncle. She's a good wife and mother -- and being mother to
      Fred and George can't be easy! She manages on a very tight budget. She's a
      very thoughtful person who shares the little she has with others (inviting
      Harry and Hermione to spend the end of summer with them).

      Berni