Re: [mythsoc] Re: Re: Re: Serial killer conventions, Gaiman

  • David S Bratman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 14, 2003
      At 08:03 PM 5/14/2003 -0600, Jane wrote:
      >David B,
      >
      >Since these are my words quoted below, I wnat to make it clear that I **do
      >not** consider you to be some kind of horror freak. I specifically said
      >that I was not criticizing anyone on this list, and I meant that. Please
      >accept my apologies if my post has distressed you.

      >"There are people using the library where I work who seem to read only the
      >most graphic horror and "true crime". Some of them do make me nervous.
      >
      >Before that, I wrote: "I *don't* mean to imply criticism of anyone on this
      >list--you all clearly read other things as well, which of course means that
      >for you it isn't an obsession. >>

      Thank you, but I didn't think you meant that necessarily as a criticism,
      you see - just as a desire to distance yourself from that kind of
      work. And not only do I not ONLY read that kind of stuff, I don't read it
      AT ALL, so I'm just as distant from it as you are, I hope. I didn't think
      Steve meant his comment seriously - he did put a smiley on it - but I
      wished to disassociate myself from it even as a joke.

      >I don't know that I'd rate Gaiman quite as highly as you do, but I have
      >read & enjoyed some of his more recent works. This whole discussion has
      >got my curiousity aroused. I'll clearly have to find a copy of at least
      >the first episodes of Cerberus.

      May I repeat what I wrote to Wendell on this subject? It may have gotten
      buried amid all the other stuff I felt obliged to say to him:

      I'd recommend picking up the second volume of the reprint series, titled
      "High Society". If you find yourself enjoying it, but find the _internal_
      references (i.e. to previous events in the storyline) to be sufficiently
      bewildering that it's interfering with your appreciation, go back and try
      the first volume, which is titled simply "Cerebus". It's less polished and
      harder to read, but explains everything that's going to get
      explained. After "High Society" comes "Church and State" (two volumes),
      followed by "Jaka's Story" (1 volume), and I think 90% of Cerebus fans
      would tell you to stop right there.

      - David Bratman