Fwd: failure notice

  • mwinslow@xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 1999
      A couple items here: first, my apologies to everyone for being so muddle-headed yesterday about the George Martin series. Diane was/is correct that it is slated for "only" six volumes. A good friend died over the weekend, so I'm way behind on sleep and make even less sense than usual.

      Next, I'd like to put forth a proposal for the mythsoc list. As most (all?) of you know, one of the main activities of the Mythopoeic Society is the discussion group. However, not everyone is able to participate in those discussion groups -- for various reasons. And so in my recent befuddlement, I was thinking, "what about having a discussion group on the mythsoc list?" I'm on a coupl'a other lists that do this and when there are enough people interested, it works quite well with very little need for administration.

      Basically, what I was thinking was that we'd have a chosen book to discuss on a regular basis (monthly? bi-monthly?). Discussion on that book is verboten until the start date, then we can begin discussing whatever aspects of the book we may want.

      It's really that simple; the only thing it depends on is the willingness of the participants -- and someone to do the simple administration of taking votes for books to read and making the timetable.

      Any thoughts? Takers?

      "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while
      even reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling
      the comfort of their serene presence." - Fred Buechner

      Currently reading: Song for the Basilisk by Patricia McKillip
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 1999
        mwinslow@... wrote:

        > From: mwinslow@...
        >
        > A couple items here: first, my apologies to everyone for being so muddle-headed yesterday about the George Martin series. Diane was/is correct that it is slated for "only" six volumes. A good friend died over the weekend, so I'm way behind on sleep and make even less sense than usual.
        >
        > Next, I'd like to put forth a proposal for the mythsoc list. As most (all?) of you know, one of the main activities of the Mythopoeic Society is the discussion group. However, not everyone is able to participate in those discussion groups -- for various reasons. And so in my recent befuddlement, I was thinking, "what about having a discussion group on the mythsoc list?" I'm on a coupl'a other lists that do this and when there are enough people interested, it works quite well with very little ne
        >
        > Basically, what I was thinking was that we'd have a chosen book to discuss on a regular basis (monthly? bi-monthly?). Discussion on that book is verboten until the start date, then we can begin discussing whatever aspects of the book we may want.
        >
        > It's really that simple; the only thing it depends on is the willingness of the participants -- and someone to do the simple administration of taking votes for books to read and making the timetable.
        >
        > Any thoughts? Takers?

        Matt: Your message wraps on my composition screen, but not on my
        reception screen. Thought you would like to know.

        On the discussion group. Sounds interesting, but mythsoc might need
        several Web masters (mistresses?) to keep it going! Another
        alternative: how about folks who can get to discussion groups sharing
        the insights they gained with those who can't come? Folks who wish to
        can read along with one of the choices (let's say, I chose Spare Oom's
        book for March) and join in, reading the book by the same deadline as
        the regional group they choose, and maybe they can e-mail their comments
        into the group so they'll be able to bounce off them. In that way, we
        can participate---at a distance. What say you? Comments (esp. if you
        see snags) welcome from all. ---djb.
      • Dinac31@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 1999
          This sounds great.

          I am always looking for new things to read.

          DJ
        • LeslieJ55@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 25, 1999
            Great idea. No group nearby.