OT: stereotypes (was Re: Cautionary tales WAS RE: [mythsoc] Re: "Owls?" you ask...

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2003
      From: <alexeik@...>

      > They are. "Taffy" (from _Dafydd_, caricaturing a Welsh accent in English
      that
      > replaces initial voiced stops with their voiceless equivalents -- cf.
      > Shakespeare's Fluellen) is a generic name for a Welshman, exactly like
      > "Paddy" for an Irishman, and often used in a derogatory way

      It was not until David and I returned to Rochester, NY, a few years ago that
      I realized that the name of the school my mother had taught at was an ethnic
      slur. David and I were in the graveyard of the church I had been baptized
      in. Looking around, I saw all these Irish names on the headstones. We were
      on a slight hill. The name of the street we were on was Paddy Hill Street
      (and my mother taught at Paddy Hill School). It hit me -- we were in the
      old Irish part of town and it was an ethnic slur!

      Berni