RE: [mythsoc] Re: Butterbur & MFA

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2003
      I've seen almost all the Inklings books and have most of the Myth and
      Fantasy on my desk right now.

      There are a couple Inklings books which were interesting but which I would
      not call scholarly, like Ellwood's _Frodo's Quest_ or Graham's _We Remember
      C.S. Lewis_. I thought Beetz' _Exploring C.S. Lewis_ would be highly useful
      for teachers and students -- lucidly written. But it accepts the
      chronological order of the books as canonical, which I don't -- I prefer the
      publication order. Drout's essay in _Beowulf and the Critics_ was
      excellent. Lewis and Currie's _Uncharted Realms of Tolkien_ was uneven --
      there was a leap of logic in the first part where they claimed Tolkien was
      anti-Darwin, since the Catholic Church was against elovution at the time,
      but this simply isn't true. But the essays on Eowyn and Erendis were quite
      good. Lindskoog's _Sleuthing C.S. Lewis_ was fascinating -- I wasn't aware
      of this controversy, and now I find myself judging the other Lewis books on
      what they say or don't say about it. I liked Clark and Timmons' _J.R.R.
      Tolkien and his Literary Resonances_ last year and still do. And I really
      enjoyed Schakel's _Imagination and the Arts in C.S. Lewis_, and learned
      quite a few things from it.

      Cording's _C.S. Lewis_ and Honda's _The Imaginative World of C.S. Lewis_ are
      missing from my library and being searched, and the Garbowski book is on
      order but hasn't arrived yet. Sturch's _Four Christian Fantasists_ is not
      available through interlibrary loan, and I don't think I'm going to be able
      to look at it before we have to send in our finalists.

      Of the Myth and Fantasy books I've seen, I enjoyed Bridger's _The
      Spirituality of Pottersorld_ very much, though I think he's preaching to the
      choir and expecting all his readers to be Christians. _Terry Pratchett:
      Guilty of Literature_ is quite good. And I was surprised at how interesting
      I found Joshi' _A Dreamer and a Visionary_, since I haven't touched any
      Lovecraft since high school.

      Janet Croft