Re: Butterbur & MFA

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2003
      the new issue of Butterbur's Woodshed with discussions of the preliminary
      candidates for the MFA-Adult arrived today. I found it enormously helpful,
      in this year when I'm farther behind the advance reading than ever (except
      for the children's division, where I just might manage to read all of the
      nominees except for the multiple volume nominees--where I've at least read
      the first volume in all cases). In the adult division, the comments helped
      me decide to abandon continuing the reading of three nominees that I'd
      started, and pursue one that I have, but had decided not to read as it
      looked too marginal (and I'd also heard a comment to that effect). Meanwhile
      (alas!) I now have several more to try to at least examine, and one seems
      likely entirely out of reach.

      Can anyone comment at all on the Scholarship books? Anyone read any good
      general fantasy (or all fields, including studies of one or more fantasy
      authors or works) or Inklings books--published over the past three
      years--that haven't been mentioned here recently?

      -- David Lenander
      2095 Hamline Ave. Roseville, MN 55113
      d-lena@... 651-292-8887
    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 2 , May 13, 2003
        I've seen almost all the Inklings books and have most of the Myth and
        Fantasy on my desk right now.

        There are a couple Inklings books which were interesting but which I would
        not call scholarly, like Ellwood's _Frodo's Quest_ or Graham's _We Remember
        C.S. Lewis_. I thought Beetz' _Exploring C.S. Lewis_ would be highly useful
        for teachers and students -- lucidly written. But it accepts the
        chronological order of the books as canonical, which I don't -- I prefer the
        publication order. Drout's essay in _Beowulf and the Critics_ was
        excellent. Lewis and Currie's _Uncharted Realms of Tolkien_ was uneven --
        there was a leap of logic in the first part where they claimed Tolkien was
        anti-Darwin, since the Catholic Church was against elovution at the time,
        but this simply isn't true. But the essays on Eowyn and Erendis were quite
        good. Lindskoog's _Sleuthing C.S. Lewis_ was fascinating -- I wasn't aware
        of this controversy, and now I find myself judging the other Lewis books on
        what they say or don't say about it. I liked Clark and Timmons' _J.R.R.
        Tolkien and his Literary Resonances_ last year and still do. And I really
        enjoyed Schakel's _Imagination and the Arts in C.S. Lewis_, and learned
        quite a few things from it.

        Cording's _C.S. Lewis_ and Honda's _The Imaginative World of C.S. Lewis_ are
        missing from my library and being searched, and the Garbowski book is on
        order but hasn't arrived yet. Sturch's _Four Christian Fantasists_ is not
        available through interlibrary loan, and I don't think I'm going to be able
        to look at it before we have to send in our finalists.

        Of the Myth and Fantasy books I've seen, I enjoyed Bridger's _The
        Spirituality of Pottersorld_ very much, though I think he's preaching to the
        choir and expecting all his readers to be Christians. _Terry Pratchett:
        Guilty of Literature_ is quite good. And I was surprised at how interesting
        I found Joshi' _A Dreamer and a Visionary_, since I haven't touched any
        Lovecraft since high school.

        Janet Croft

        Can anyone comment at all on the Scholarship books? Anyone read any good
        general fantasy (or all fields, including studies of one or more fantasy
        authors or works) or Inklings books--published over the past three
        years--that haven't been mentioned here recently?

        -- David Lenander
        2095 Hamline Ave. Roseville, MN 55113
        d-lena@... 651-292-8887
        <http://www.umn.edu/~d-lena/RIVENDELL.html>