Re: Authors...

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 1980
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > ...of interest to Mythies
      >
      > CONFESSIONS OF AN UGLY STEPSISTER. Gregory Maguire, of WICKED, again takes
      > the viewpoint of the ones usually thought of as the villains. Here, it
      > appears he has set "Cinderella" in 17th Century Holland. This one might be
      > interesting. HarperCollins, $24.
      >
      > KING OF SHADOWS, by Susan Cooper. Here the fantasy element is apparently
      > employed only to draw a modern boy actor back to 1599 and Shakespeare's time
      > and place. Still, could be worthwhile. Simon and Schuster, $18.

      A friend just sent me Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove's *Household
      Gods.* It looks really fun. Modern female lawyer wakes up as a
      taver-keeper's widow in 170 A. D. I have a friend who thinks Turtledove
      doesn't handle female characters well, so maybe Tarr will help his
      perspective. Looks intriguing. ---djb.
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 1999
          >From: Stolzi@...
          >
          >...of interest to Mythies
          >
          >CONFESSIONS OF AN UGLY STEPSISTER. Gregory Maguire, of WICKED, again takes
          >the viewpoint of the ones usually thought of as the villains. Here, it
          >appears he has set "Cinderella" in 17th Century Holland. This one might be
          >interesting. HarperCollins, $24.

          I'm excited about this one, since I really enjoyed Maguire's take on _The
          Wizard of Oz_. and have a copy. Holiday reading, I expect...

          >KING OF SHADOWS, by Susan Cooper. Here the fantasy element is apparently
          >employed only to draw a modern boy actor back to 1599 and Shakespeare's time
          >and place. Still, could be worthwhile. Simon and Schuster, $18.

          I read this and was disappointed; not much there for the author of the
          "Dark is Rising" series, which was rich in mythic elements.

          Ellie

          Eleanor M. Farrell
          Editor, Mythprint
          P.O. Box 320486
          San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
          E-mail: emfarrell@...

          Mythprint: Mythopoeic Society newsletter
        • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 15, 1999
            I haven't read any Maguire but I am a fan of Cooper. I think she introduced
            me to a lot of things, not just the wonderful mythic, but the language and
            the land... Yet not all her things are that good.

            Likewise for LeGuin, whom I don't know if she's considered mythic. Earthsea,
            all 4, are so different from her other thin gs, in fact I have trouble
            getting into some of the others... a friend of mine just worships her. Any
            su ggestiosn where I should start?

            Lizzie of the short attention span

            Lizzie
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2000
              Diane, the Narnia poem is mine. Kay Lindskoog published it in a "Narnia
              workshop" kit she did for ... oh, some publisher or other ... David Cook, I
              think... years ago. I demanded payment and they actually sent me a check for
              $5. :)

              On book notes, I am just finishing Peter Beagle's 1999 novel TAMSIN. This is
              excellent! It's really a YA but not labeled as such - but a dense, textured,
              extremely well-written YA, just a bit of a slow starter... here I agree with
              the reviews on amazon.com.

              Next I go back to Helprin's WINTER'S TALE and try to finish - I am sort of
              bogged down in the middle.

              Good to have you back on line, DJB.

              Mary S
            • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 10, 2000
                In a message dated 01/01/2000 9:37:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                dianejoy@... writes:

                << A friend just sent me Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove's *Household
                Gods.* It looks really fun. >>
                Did you read this yet and if so what did you think?

                lizzie