Impossible Bird comments?

  • Patricia Vivien Yarrow
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2003
      Hello, all.

      There is life after chairing a Mythcon . . .

      Has there been any discussion of O'Leary's _Impossible Bird_ from
      this year's Adult Fantasy list? I'm finding that though it's "in the
      spirit of the Inklings," including an explicit allusion to Lewis and
      some veiled ones to Tolkien's "Leaf by Niggle," I don't much care for
      it. I'm about halfway through and trying to decide whether to finish
      it out or move on to something more promising.

      Thoughts?

      Patricia Vivien Yarrow
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2003
        There is life after chairing a Mythcon . . .

        Has there been any discussion of O'Leary's _Impossible Bird_ from
        this year's Adult Fantasy list? I'm finding that though it's "in the
        spirit of the Inklings," including an explicit allusion to Lewis and
        some veiled ones to Tolkien's "Leaf by Niggle," I don't much care for
        it. I'm about halfway through and trying to decide whether to finish
        it out or move on to something more promising.

        Thoughts?

        Definitely go on to something else, IMHO. Felt like a "god-game" book to
        me, with a lot of pointless running around, too much violence, and
        pointless sex between Mike and his brother's wife---didn't poor Danny have
        a clue they were having an affair? Give me a break. Sex between Mike and
        Danny (as boys). The alien / goddess was fun. Spy stuff could have been
        fun if there had been a point, less violence, and if it didn't feel so
        much like plot filler. Then, I didn't like *Wooden Sea* much (last year's
        god-game). God-games bore me. ---djb

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Joshua Kronengold
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13, 2003
          Patricia Vivien Yarrow writes:
          >Has there been any discussion of O'Leary's _Impossible Bird_ from
          >this year's Adult Fantasy list?

          Not that I saw.

          >I don't much care for it.

          I don't much care for it either, actually -- like _The Wooden Sea_
          from Caroll (which it basically has the same plot as), it's mythopeic,
          and even well written, but not all that good, far below the level of
          the Ted Chiang, Pauline's book, Fairy Feller's, _The Alchemist's Door_,
          _The Fall of The Kings_, and _Ombria in Shadow_.

          --
          Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
          --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
          Message 4 of 4 , May 13, 2003
            Hmmmm. I wouldn't put _The Alchemist's Door_ on my short list,
            personally. One of the things that I had trouble with was that all
            the characters use similar sentence structure and vocabulary, and
            it's impossible to distinguish individual "voices" among them. I
            would expect Dr. Dee's conversation to be different depending on
            which language he's speaking at the moment, for example. Even the
            golem uses language the same way as the other characters. By
            contrast, the characters in _The Fall of the Kings_ and _Ombria in
            Shadow_ are easily distinguished by their speech patterns.

            I also found that, for one of the most famous magicians known, Dr.
            Dee had an appalling lack of basic occult knowledge, especially in
            the area of self defense. He did show significant growth over the
            course of the book, and increasing tolerance for others. I'm just
            not convinced he should have been quite so shallow at the start.

            Magdalena's character was interesting, but her overcoming of her
            previous abuse did not approach the depth, or believability, of
            Maureen's in _The Summer Country_.

            On the whole I found _The Alchemist's Door_ to have a fascinating
            concept, but it was not well enough executed for the short list.

            Patricia Vivien Yarrow