Austen's Northanger Abbey

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2003
      Wendell, you might want to give Jane Austen another try. when I first read
      P&P I wasn't exactly blown away (though I liked it MUCH better on a second
      reading, a few years later). _Emma_ requires that you feel no need to really
      like or admire the protagonist, but I liked that book much better, the first
      time. But I think that _Northanger Abbey_ might be the easiest book to like
      for a fantasy fan. It's kind of a send-up of gothic novels. Lots of "hooks"
      for fantasy-oriented reading. Even more of a send-up is her juvenilia, _Love
      & Friendship_, which I thought very funny when I read it at about age 16. (I
      think she was only 13 or 14 when she wrote it). But it's so crudely done
      that most readers probably wouldn't have the patience for it....

      Incidentally, although I respect your opinion that there's no social
      criticism, I don't share it. I think that Austen is full of at least
      implicit social critique, as well as satire on much social behavior. But if
      the characters don't strike you as either endearing or comedic, perhaps
      you're right and Austen just doesn't work for you.

      on 5/11/03 3:46 AM, Wendell wrote:

      > (Incidentally, I really am bothered when I Encounter Great Art and find that
      > I don't like something which other people whose opinion I respect tell me is
      > an example of Great Art. I don't think some of you understand that I was
      > crushed to discover that I didn't much like _Pride and Prejudice_.

      -- David Lenander
      2095 Hamline Ave. Roseville, MN 55113
      d-lena@... 651-292-8887