Re: Martin's series

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 1999
      Diane Baker [dianejoy@...] wrote:
      > I'd be very disappointed if he stretched it that far. I read LOCUS
      > myself, but GRRM personally said SIX total. Guess we'll have to see.
      > If it went to 11, I would be very upset indeed; he doesn't need that
      > much space. Wish I'd remembered the LOCUS reference and asked him about
      > it.

      Oh, gosh, Diane, now you've got me wondering if I read it (or remembered
      it) wrong. Lesee... <Matt gets creative with numbers>

      Two already published plus the one he just turned in (or is about to),
      plus four more he contracted, makes seven total. From there, I remembered
      the seven and the four and put them together, having remembered an ugly
      number of volumes to be expected.

      ...and I'm not even sure I've remembered *those* numbers correctly. <g>

      Maybe I'll just take my walker and hobble off into the sunset now....

      "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while
      even reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling
      the comfort of their serene presence." - Fred Buechner

      Currently reading: Song for the Basilisk by Patricia McKillip
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 1999
        Don't worry about the numbers, Matt---you may have read about the seven
        extras in an earlier LOCUS.

        My Feb. 1999 copy of LOCUS says "GEORGE R. R. MARTIN sold the final
        three books in his "Song of Ice and Fire" hexology, *A Dance With
        Dragons, The Winds of Winter* and *A Time of Wolves* to Anne Groell at
        Bantam via agent Kitty McCauley for "The biggest advance I"ve ever
        gotten." He is working on volume three, *The Storm of Swords,* sold
        earlier, and promises not to take as long as between volumes one and
        two, and that six volumes is *it.* British rights have not yet been
        negotiated." (LOCUS, vol 42 no. 2 issue 457, People & Publishing under
        Books Sold, p. 10).

        I hope that the extra speed will not jeopardize Martin's craftsmanship.
        Oh, dear, the ward nurse is lookin' for the Madwoman! ---djb.