by dang, somebody actually tried it!

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , May 9, 2003
      <A HREF="http://apnews.myway.com//article/20030509/D7QTQB000.html">Click here: My Way News</A>

      But Shakespeare was not what they got. Takes more time, presumably.

    • Ernest S. Tomlinson
      Message 2 of 15 , May 9, 2003
        On Fri, 9 May 2003 15:45:38 EDT, Stolzi@... said:
        > <A HREF="http://apnews.myway.com//article/20030509/D7QTQB000.html">Click
        > here: My Way News</A>
        >
        > But Shakespeare was not what they got. Takes more time, presumably.

        Two stories, both reprinted (as I remember) in the Clinton Fadiman-edited
        anthology _Fantasia Mathematica_. One is Kurt Lasswitz's story "The
        Universal Library" (with commentary by Willy Ley), which examines the
        notion of just how big a library of all possible books would have to be.
        The other's title and author I forget, but it describes an eccentric,
        retired millionnaire who, after a conservation over cocktails with a
        mathematician friend of his, decides to get six chimpanzees and try the
        experiment himself. They start producing copies of all the great books
        immediately (including, I remember, an unexpurgated copy of Samuel
        Pepys's diary), whereupon the mathematician pays his chum a visit,
        semi-automatic in hand, and shoots all the monkeys and his friend dead.

        And of course there's Bob Newhart to be remembered. "Hey, Number Two
        typed something! I think this is famous or something. 'To be or not to
        be, that is the gzornlplt.'"

        Ernest.

        --
        Ernest S. Tomlinson / thiophene@...
        "_Attack of the Clones_ was the most scandalous cinematic waste I have
        Message 3 of 15 , May 9, 2003
          Message 4 of 15 , May 9, 2003
            In a message dated 5/9/2003 3:07:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
            thiophene@... writes:

            > One is Kurt Lasswitz's story "The
            > Universal Library" (with commentary by Willy Ley), which examines the
            > notion of just how big a library of all possible books would have to be.

            Sounds a lot like Borges "The Library" which contains every possible book,
            every possible scientific or mathematical theory, etc. thus including not
            only the right answer to everything but also every possible wrong answer
            (every possible version of "Hamlet" including the one Shakespeare wrote) and
            on and on.

            The metaphor is obvious....
            Anne

          • The Yeti !
            Message 5 of 15 , May 11, 2003
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Stolzi@a... wrote:
              > http://apnews.myway.com//article/20030509/D7QTQB000.html
              >
              > But Shakespeare was not what they got. Takes more time,
              presumably.

              I wonder why they were so interested in typing the letter S. You'd
              think if they were typing randomly, then they'd type random letters.

              I also found the following amusing :

              http://apnews.myway.com/article/20030511/D7QV7Q680.html

              Yeti.
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , May 11, 2003
                In a message dated 5/11/2003 2:49:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
                jadeyeti@... writes:

                > I wonder why they were so interested in typing the letter S.

                Obviously, they were headed towards the name "Shakespeare," as someone said
                on a blog I was reading this afternoon.

                Diamond Proudbrook

              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 15 , May 13, 2003
                  jadeyeti@... writes:

                  > I wonder why they were so interested in typing the letter S.

                  Diamond Proudbrook:

                  << Obviously, they were headed towards the name "Shakespeare," as someone
                  said on a blog I was reading this afternoon.>>

                  BLOG. Er, I must be behind the times; what on earth is a "blog?" Looks
                  like one of those words the monkeys were trying to type before they got to
                  the Shakespeare. Remarkable that "log" is a part of it. Any relationship?
                  Thanks. ---djb

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • Croft, Janet B
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 13, 2003
                    It's a weblog -- may include any combination of an online diary/list of
                    nifty links I've found/salon for friends to converse in. Lots of great ones
                    out there. Try some of my favorites: Teresa Neilsen Hayden's Making Light
                    http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/
                    <http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/> , Blog of a Bookslut
                    http://www.bookslut.com/blog.html <http://www.bookslut.com/blog.html> ,
                    James Lileks' Bleat http://www.lileks.com/bleats/index.html
                    <http://www.lileks.com/bleats/index.html> , or the Chronicle of Higher
                    Education's Arts and Letters Daily http://www.aldaily.com/
                    <http://www.aldaily.com/> .

                    Janet Croft

                    BLOG. Er, I must be behind the times; what on earth is a "blog?" Looks
                    like one of those words the monkeys were trying to type before they got to
                    the Shakespeare. Remarkable that "log" is a part of it. Any relationship?
                    Thanks. ---djb

                    <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                    http://mail2web.com/ <http://mail2web.com/> .

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                    27:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&partid=317
                    0658>

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupmai
                    l/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=486929969>

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 13, 2003
                      On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:50:06 -0400, "dianejoy@..."
                      <dianejoy@...> said:

                      > BLOG. Er, I must be behind the times; what on earth is a "blog?"

                      "Web log" = "blog". Basically it's like having your own personal
                      Slashdot website: periodically you put up links to interesting articles,
                      or your own bloviations, and invite commentary on them.

                      Most of these "blogs" I've seen are politically slanted in one direction
                      or another, and many of these political "bloggers", like the editors of
                      Slashdot, labor under the delusion that what they do is journalism.

                      Ernest.
                      --
                      Ernest S. Tomlinson / thiophene@...
                      "_Attack of the Clones_ was the most scandalous cinematic waste I have
                      ever seen, and remember, I've seen _The Phantom Menace_." (Ernest
                      Tomlinson, shamelessly stealing from Roger Ebert's review of another
                      movie)
                    • Max Rible
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 13, 2003
                        On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 06:58, Ernest S. Tomlinson wrote:
                        > On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:50:06 -0400, "dianejoy@..."
                        > <dianejoy@...> said:
                        >
                        > > BLOG. Er, I must be behind the times; what on earth is a "blog?"
                        >
                        > "Web log" = "blog". Basically it's like having your own personal
                        > Slashdot website: periodically you put up links to interesting articles,
                        > or your own bloviations, and invite commentary on them.
                        >
                        > Most of these "blogs" I've seen are politically slanted in one direction
                        > or another, and many of these political "bloggers", like the editors of
                        > Slashdot, labor under the delusion that what they do is journalism.

                        Blogs, on their own, vary from the equivalent of newspaper columnists
                        to making one's personal diary public. The really interesting
                        interface I've seen is the one at http://www.livejournal.com/ , where
                        a blogger can designate "friends", whose blog entries will show
                        up in your own "friends view". This allows one to simply post
                        updates on what's happening in one's life right now, where friends
                        can read it and comment upon it. (It's even possible to arrange
                        that messages are only visible to one's friends, not to general
                        viewers.) It has a different dynamic than sending out missives
                        in E-mail letting your friends know about the latest developments
                        in your life. I find it convenient for keeping in touch with
                        friends who are currently living thousands of miles away.

                        Anyone curious to see one in operation can look at my own:
                        http://slothman.livejournal.com/ . (The trick of separating
                        the actual friends view from the view subscriptions to everything
                        from comic strips to news sites to Neil Gaiman's weblog isn't
                        standard, but is fairly straightforward to implement.)
                        --
                        %% Max Rible http://www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
                        %% "The duty of the patriot is to protect his country from its %%
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 13, 2003
                          On 13 May 2003 09:33:19 -0700, "Max Rible" <slothman@...> said:

                          [On using weblogs to keep friends apprised]
                          > It has a different dynamic than sending out missives
                          > in E-mail letting your friends know about the latest developments
                          > in your life. I find it convenient for keeping in touch with
                          > friends who are currently living thousands of miles away.

                          Hm, that's quite clever, actually. (And both more convenient and more
                          polite than bulk-mailing every friend or acquaintance with "what happened
                          to me this week" or "here's a funny joke!" messages.)

                          Most of my experience with bloggers, though, has been with the blowhard
                          political pundit wannabes (q.v. http://atrios.blogspot.com/ for a leftist
                          blowhard, http://www.freerepublic.com/ for a whole pack of rightist
                          ones.) They're somewhat useful for keeping tabs on interesting items in
                          the news--I think of the "blogosphere" in that regard as a kind of
                          distributed search engine.

                          Ernest.
                          --
                          Ernest S. Tomlinson / thiophene@...
                          "_Attack of the Clones_ was the most scandalous cinematic waste I have
                          ever seen, and remember, I've seen _The Phantom Menace_." (Ernest
                          Tomlinson, shamelessly stealing from Roger Ebert's review of another
                          movie)
                        • Berni Phillips
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 13, 2003
                            From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

                            > It's a weblog -- may include any combination of an online diary/list of
                            > nifty links I've found/salon for friends to converse in. Lots of great
                            ones
                            > out there. Try some of my favorites: Teresa Neilsen Hayden's Making Light
                            > http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/

                            I highly recommend Teresa Nielsen Hayden's book of essays, _Making Book_.
                            They're from her fanzine writing days and are fascinating. One is her
                            account of her formal ex-communication from the Mormon church. Another
                            ponders the huge gap in wealth in our society -- this was prompted by her
                            reading about some millionaire spending an enormous amount on an antique
                            desk while she was working for low wages as a typist many years ago. She
                            estimates, among other things, how long she would have to work to afford
                            that one item. Another essay rips apart _American Psycho_ from an editor's
                            perspective. Great, fun writing.

                            Berni
                          • Croft, Janet B
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 14, 2003
                              I did track down her book last time someone mentioned it here, and it was
                              great! I keep her Pastafazool essay in my file as a caution against woo-woo
                              scholarship.

                              Janet

                              > It's a weblog -- may include any combination of an online diary/list of
                              > nifty links I've found/salon for friends to converse in. Lots of great
                              ones
                              > out there. Try some of my favorites: Teresa Neilsen Hayden's Making Light
                              > http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/
                              <http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/>

                              I highly recommend Teresa Nielsen Hayden's book of essays, _Making Book_.
                              They're from her fanzine writing days and are fascinating. One is her
                              account of her formal ex-communication from the Mormon church. Another
                              ponders the huge gap in wealth in our society -- this was prompted by her
                              reading about some millionaire spending an enormous amount on an antique
                              desk while she was working for low wages as a typist many years ago. She
                              estimates, among other things, how long she would have to work to afford
                              that one item. Another essay rips apart _American Psycho_ from an editor's
                              perspective. Great, fun writing.

                              Berni

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=253836.3292410.4586249.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                              27:HM/A=1300130/R=1/*http://local.yahoo.com/>

                              <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_cityguides/702_v1_mod_lrec_01_
                              text.gif>

                              Enter:

                              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=253836.3292410.4586249.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                              27:HM/A=1300130/R=2/*http://local.yahoo.com/>

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=253836.3292410.4586249.1261774/D=egroupmai
                              l/S=:HM/A=1300130/rand=522555647>

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 14, 2003
                                If you go to Teresea's site at http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/
                                <http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/> there's a link in the upper
                                right corner where you can purchase the book. It is available through ILL
                                -- that's how I read it. This particular essay is not one of the ones she
                                has posted online, but the one about leaving the Mormons is:
                                http://nielsenhayden.com/GodandI.html
                                <http://nielsenhayden.com/GodandI.html>

                                Janet

                                I did track down her book last time someone mentioned it here, and it was
                                great! I keep her Pastafazool essay in my file as a caution against woo-woo
                                scholarship. >>

                                Janet I remember last time Pastafazool was mentioned and I couldn't find
                                it. I had been under hte impression it was online. Where can I find it?

                                Lizzie Triano
                                lizziewriter@...
                                amor vincit omnia

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor