Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and evolution

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2003
      From: "Fisher, Matt" <matt.fisher@...>

      > Personally, I have never heard of any Pope prior to John Paul II >saying
      anything that would be taken as indicative that the Roman >Catholic church
      had no opposition to evolution. So it appears that >the current acceptance
      of the theory of evolution by the Vatican >dates back to the 1980's, after
      Tolkien's death.

      The theory of evolution was certainly taught in my Catholic high school
      biology class. This was in 1971, I think, and there was no uproar -- it was
      accepted as not incompatible with the Catholic faith then.

      Berni