Re: F. Marion Crawford

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 1999
      Yes, F. M. Crawford is not one whose work deserves to survive, I agree.

      However I like, sometimes, to read the old popular stuff from the turn of the
      century or thereabouts (certainly more than I like to read the popular stuff
      of today).

      When we lived in the Washington DC area, we went to Shrinemont one summer.
      Shrinemont is the retreat and camp center of the Episcopal Diocese of
      Virginia, which the Diocese created by purchasing an old resort hotel up in
      the mountains, a hotel surviving from the days before air conditioning, when
      no one of any means spent the hot, humid summers in DC.

      Besides the hotel, there were some large cabins, and we stayed in one of
      these once. It had been fitted out with wall after wall of bookshelves.
      Washingtonians had gone up there year after year with their summer reading,
      and left the books behind as donations. My dream was to be able to stay up
      there for six weeks or so, just enjoying the mountain air and reading all
      these period-piece books by Helen Hunt Jackson or Mary Johnston or whoever,
      or the theological works both serious and romantic, or the non-fiction tomes
      based on views of the world which have gone forever. The same kind of books
      that turn up in the many antique stores around here, where I suppose people
      buy them just to make their "country" decor look authentic and never -read-
      them.

      Mary S