WWF meets Tiger

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 1999
      One of my correspondents today sent along a whole column by Prof. Lionel
      Tiger (a name worth meditation in itself) about the recent controversy over
      wrestling shows on TV. I excerpt this paragraph where the word "myth"
      caught my eye; sorry I don't know where the column may be found (will fwd to
      interested persons):

      <<It is surely significant that the largest demographic for wrestling shows
      is 12- to 34-year-old males, many of whom may perceive in their real
      immediate surroundings a level of fuzzy, undramatic action that fails to
      satisfy their sense that life should be bold and demanding and grand.
      Perhaps they have to cave in to the system at their job or to Ritalin if
      they're still in school. But at night, in the ring, they can visit a
      dramatic world with enormously powerful, highly trained, professionally
      proud athletes who--beyond their physical prowess--connect with fulsome
      Method actor enthusiasm to the always-haunting world of heroic myth.>>

      Indeed. And on another listserv of mine, the decline of masculinity in
      general was being discussed.

      Conan, call your office.

      Mary S