F. Marion Crawford

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 1999
      Mary mentioned running across a book by F. Marion Crawford....... I know
      the name from my faithful copy of Lin Carter's _Imaginary Worlds_, which
      covers several Victorian era writers of early fantastic fiction. Crawford's
      novel _Khaled_ was republished in 1971 by Carter as part of the Ballantine
      Adult Fantasy series. There is a bit of a biography in the book's
      introduction: Crawford, the son of sculptor Thomas Crawford and the nephew
      of poetess Julia Ward Howe (author of _The Battle Hymn of the Republic_),
      was born in Italy (his father was studying there), then schooled in America
      but also studied at Cambridge and Heidelberg.

      Thomas Crawford is known for his equestrian statue of George Washington (in
      Richmond, VA) so I guess it's possible he named his son for the "Swamp Fox"
      of Revolutionary War fame. (I obviously date myself by noting my
      familiarity with that hero via the television series starring Leslie
      Nielson..... pre-"Airplane", of course).

      Anyway, I've read _Khaled_ but it's been some time. It's one of those
      "Arabian Night" fantasies so popular at the time. Crawford also wrote some
      vampire stories and was admired by Lovecraft. But he's certainly a minor
      literary figure when compared to most of his contemporaries.......

      Ellie

      Eleanor M. Farrell
      Editor, Mythprint
      P.O. Box 320486
      San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      E-mail: emfarrell@...

      Mythprint: Mythopoeic Society newsletter
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 1999
        > Thomas Crawford is known for his equestrian statue of George Washington (in
        > Richmond, VA) so I guess it's possible he named his son for the "Swamp Fox"
        > of Revolutionary War fame. (I obviously date myself by noting my
        > familiarity with that hero via the television series starring Leslie
        > Nielson..... pre-"Airplane", of course).

        Interestingly (and this is far off topic), I went to school in Marion, IN,
        which is named for the same Swamp Fox.
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 1999
          Thanks for the info on Crawford!

          I grew up in Swamp Fox country, myself (before the TV show) and learned about
          the hero from a book on him by Merritt Parmelee Allen, who reduced many
          historic American heroes into exciting fiction for young people.

          Wendell, I can't tell if that was FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS you read without more
          identifying details. The Peppers may well have spoken of their "ship coming
          in," but I don't happen to recall it.

          Mary S
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 1999
            Yes, F. M. Crawford is not one whose work deserves to survive, I agree.

            However I like, sometimes, to read the old popular stuff from the turn of the
            century or thereabouts (certainly more than I like to read the popular stuff
            of today).

            When we lived in the Washington DC area, we went to Shrinemont one summer.
            Shrinemont is the retreat and camp center of the Episcopal Diocese of
            Virginia, which the Diocese created by purchasing an old resort hotel up in
            the mountains, a hotel surviving from the days before air conditioning, when
            no one of any means spent the hot, humid summers in DC.

            Besides the hotel, there were some large cabins, and we stayed in one of
            these once. It had been fitted out with wall after wall of bookshelves.
            Washingtonians had gone up there year after year with their summer reading,
            and left the books behind as donations. My dream was to be able to stay up
            there for six weeks or so, just enjoying the mountain air and reading all
            these period-piece books by Helen Hunt Jackson or Mary Johnston or whoever,
            or the theological works both serious and romantic, or the non-fiction tomes
            based on views of the world which have gone forever. The same kind of books
            that turn up in the many antique stores around here, where I suppose people
            buy them just to make their "country" decor look authentic and never -read-
            them.

            Mary S