Slovoj Zizek ...

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      is a professor of philosophy from Slovenia, who says amusing, eccentric,
      and interesting things in a profile in the May 5th issue of The New Yorker.
      Some of his comments on experiencing art might appeal to some of us here.

      Mary and Berni, this Zizek quote is for you:

      "I have a whole rational theory against skiing. What does skiing mean? It
      means that you go up to go down. So why don't you stay down the whole time
      and read a good book?"

      Joan and Ernest, this Zizek quote is for you:

      "People who say 'Don't tell me the end' have it all wrong. I read the
      first ten pages and then I read the ending, and that is the test: do I
      still want to read it?"

      Some of us might appreciate this one too:

      "Videos and DVDs have ruined movies for me. Instead of seeing the movie, I
      buy it, and then I have it, so why should I watch it?"

      - David Bratman
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2003
        In a message dated 5/1/2003 2:30:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        > "I have a whole rational theory against skiing. What does skiing mean? It
        > means that you go up to go down. So why don't you stay down the whole time
        > and read a good book?"

        Absolutely right.

        Mary, who has never skiiiied in her life and isn't about to start