Re: [mythsoc] Seven books? A magical number?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2003
      In a message dated 4/28/2003 8:43:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      > Funny how =God= didn't seem to think seven books necessary for either the
      > Torah, the Tanakh, the Gospels, or the New Testament!

      Actually, that was God's original plan. He wanted to write just seven books.
      He went to his publisher with the idea for the Bible and the publisher said,
      "Why only seven books?"

      God replied, "It's standard. Seven days of the week, seven deadly sins,
      seven planets . . ."

      "No, there isn't," said the publisher. "There are nine planets."

      "There is in the medieval scheme," God said, "but you've got to count the sun
      and the moon . . ."

      "The sun and the moon aren't planets."

      "Look, I can't explain all this now. Besides, there are seven seas, Seven
      Brides for Seven Brothers, seven castaways on Gilligan's Island . . ."

      "Huh?"

      "That's a movie and a TV series that I've preordained to happen one day,"
      God said. "Forget it. I'm not going to explain what movies and TV are."

      Eventually the publisher persuaded God to stretch it out to thirty-nine
      books. Much later, the publisher talked God into doing a new series, _The
      Bible: The Adventure Continues_, which lasted twenty-seven books.