Re: Elsie Dinsmore ?

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > I hope David's not putting FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS in the same bag. It has
      > spunky children with some interesting obstacles to overcome.
      >
      > I owned the first book as a child and read it with great interest, being an
      > only child myself and not having any intimate acquaintance with the kind of
      > hardscrabble poverty described in FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS. Also I was too young
      > to get a lot of the period references, and indeed, I am still mystified as to
      > why an "old boot top" should be one of Davy Pepper's prize possessions, how
      > cut-up leather could be used to mend a stove, or why, in a New England state
      > (Massachusetts, if I recall) where public education was perhaps more
      > prevalent than anywhere else in the country (and all praise to New England
      > for that), Mrs. Pepper keeps moaning on about not having any money for her
      > children to go to school.
      >
      > Mary S

      Indeed. (I also read a couple of the Pepper books.) What mystified me
      about money and school was _Girl of the Limberlost_ and trying to raise
      money to go to high school! Her mother, who was poor, considered it a
      luxury.

      Berni
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 7, 1999
        I am rather aghast at Christian homeschoolers of today exposing their
        children to Elsie Dinsmore's Mammy Chloe, who wears a spotless turban (of
        course) and is given to remarks like "Bress de Lawd, Ah knows Jesus loves
        =me=, too, jes' the same as if Ah wuz white." Mammy Chloe can't even pore
        over the Bible herself - Elsie has to read it to her.

        I suppose the Girl of the Limberlost needed money for suitable clothes and
        also transportation - didn't she live a long way from the high school? And I
        think maybe in the old days you had to buy your textbooks even if the
        education was free.

        We were given ours, but had to turn 'em in at the end of the year, so some
        got more battered books than others. We were also given, and required to
        use, a set of fold-and-stick brown paper book covers printed up by the State;
        I find that graven in my memory forever is the lead motto (for State Parks, I
        guess) "Education and Recreation in the School of the Great Outdoors."

        Never thought 'til now of the irony of reading this over and over as we sat
        firmly imprisoned in the School of =Indoors=.

        Mary S
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 7, 1999
          Since we are wandering somewhat afield just now, I'll mention F. Marion
          Crawford.

          Just finished an oldie I picked up in a local antique barn for 5 bucks. It's
          THE WHITE SISTER by F. Marion Crawford, pub. 1912. Such a sentimental and
          romantical brew, ala =Beau Geste=! The frontispiece is a picture of some
          well-known actress of the time in the role of The White Sister.

          Looked up Crawford on the 'net and it turns out he is remembered today only
          for shockers, ghost-stories and the like ("The Screaming Skull" is one of his
          top titles). One of the pages where I learned this is a set of links with
          the engaging title "Gaslight Fiction" - this seems to cover everything from
          shlockmeisters like Crawford to =real= writers of the period such as
          Turgenev, Chekhov, or de Maupassant. I wonder who he was. "Francis Marion"
          are two good first names for a South Carolinian.

          Mary S
        • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 8, 1999
            In a message dated 12/6/99 5:07:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
            writes:

            > I hope David's not putting FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS in the same bag.
            > It has spunky children with some interesting obstacles to overcome.
            > Unfortunately, in the first book, they really overcome them all (by
            > being adopted into the family of a rich gentleman) and the sequels
            > never measure up, in my opinion. . . I owned the first book as a
            > child and read it with great interest, being an only child myself and
            > not having any intimate acquaintance with the kind of hardscrabble
            > poverty described in FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS.

            Is this the book I think I remember? I probably read this somewhere between
            1960 and 1962. By that point it was way out of fashion, so it was probably
            something that my mother had read as a child and had sitting around. Even
            then I found the idea that your best hope of getting out of poverty was to be
            adopted by a rich man to be strange. I can't call my family poor, more like
            struggling working-class. My father made enough working a job and a half
            that we might have been middle-class if my parents hadn't been silly enough
            to have eight kids.

            If I'm remembering the right book, I found it funny when the kids in that
            book talked about how "someday our ship will come in". I had never heard
            that phrase before (in the meaning of "someday we'll make our fortune"). I
            thought that was hilarious. I remember telling my mother, "Mom, our ship
            just came in. Unfortunately, it hit the side of the pier and sank." Boy, I
            was one snide, cynical little kid. But then I'm also one snide, cynical
            adult.