The return of the Tolkien and Middle-earth essays

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2003
      As many of you are now well aware, I have left Suite101 and they
      retired/archived my Tolkien and Middle-earth topic. However, I
      always intended to continue writing on the subject. At first, I
      hoped to host the essays on my own domain, Xenite.Org, but three hard
      drive crashes this year forced me to look elsewhere.

      So, I'm happy to say that MERP.COM (as in Middle-earth Role-Playing)
      invited me to create an essays section on their site. The first
      essay, "What a hobbit wants", has been posted and is now available
      for public scrutiny.

      I plan to post more essays on the approximately monthly basis I was
      doing so at Suite101. And I'll continue to respond to comments in
      whatever forums I post these announcements. Thanks to all of you
      great Tolkien fans for your support through the years.

      What a hobbit wants...

      "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." One of the most
      famous opening lines in English literature lays down the law for our
      perception of the basic hobbit lifestyle: comfort. Hobbits don't live
      in "nasty, dirty, wet hole(s), filled with the ends of worms and an
      oozy smell". They live in comfortable tunnels "without smoke, with
      panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished
      chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats...."

      People have lived in holes and caves throughout history, sometimes as
      a means of evading detection, sometimes for purely defensive reasons.
      But we have never really lived in hobbit holes. Bilbo's hole, Bag
      End, represents the lifestyle of the aristocratic hobbit, and among
      Big Folk like you and me, aristocrats live in castles, palaces,
      mansions -- anything but holes in the sides of hills.

      Tolkien's fascination with underground dwelling undoubtedly owes
      something to his wartime experiences in France, where millions of
      soldiers filled trenches and underground bunkers that were
      clearly "nasty, dirty, wet hole(s), filled with the ends of worms and
      an oozy smell". As with so many other writers of his generation,
      Tolkien's fiction pursues an escapist course which seeks to wipe away
      the memory of the battlefields of northern France. But in Tolkien's
      case, he paints a more pleasant memory over the unpleasant one while
      leaving a remarkably evocative set of clues to the inspirations his
      imagery.

      Read the full essay here:
      http://www.merp.com/modules.php?
      op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=48

      Thank you, MERP.COM! Here's hoping we have a long and mutually
      enjoyable association.
    • Lisa Padol
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2003
        As we get down to the wire, I'm looking over the Adults' list. We've
        not located the Harness (Cybele), the Eva Hoffman (Secret), or the
        Robinson (Rice and Salt) yet, at least not in library searches. We're
        good otherwise there.

        Josh, what was the book you couldn't get on the Childrens' list, the
        one everyone reserved in the libraries? Summerland?

        -Lisa

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2003
          Lisa:

          I couldn't find the Cybele tale either, but did find the Hoffman at the
          public library, and have a copy of Robinson from the SFBC. (I've seen
          copies of Robinson at the library, but Cincinnati is blessed with an
          extremely good library.)

          I've read about as much of Robinson as I can stand right now; not that
          it's so bad, but it's very dense, and takes a long time to absorb. I think
          I have at least the thrust of the book, enough to decide if it made my
          list. It didn't. Too much Message; though it deals with myths, it does so
          in a way that dismisses them. Not that the winner must always be
          pro-religion; but at least the author should respect myth and its power to
          move people and make some attempt to give life to myth, be it created or
          real. So far, Robinson seems to say that myths are mere spider webs, to be
          gotten out of the way before true progress can occur. The myths he deals
          with feel more like window dressing and costume than reality, for all the
          density of the book. I may be wrong, for I haven't finished the book.

          I received the *Fairy Feller's Master Stroke* yesterday, and have begun it;
          I should finish it in a day or so. A much easier read than Robinson.

          Let me know who would like it next; if not, I'll send it back to you along
          with my copy of Robinson, if you can't find it at the library. If you'd
          like the Robinson, and think you can get the gist before the deadline, I'll
          ship it up your way. ---djb

          As we get down to the wire, I'm looking over the Adults' list. We've
          not located the Harness (Cybele), the Eva Hoffman (Secret), or the
          Robinson (Rice and Salt) yet, at least not in library searches. We're
          good otherwise there.

          Josh, what was the book you couldn't get on the Childrens' list, the
          one everyone reserved in the libraries? Summerland?

          -Lisa

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2003
            Harness? Is this the same Harness (Charles I think) that wrote _Firebird_,
            about the catpeople and the space ship? I loved that book.

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • Joan Marie Verba
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2003
              I just want to insert a friendly reminder here that not everyone on this
              list is familiar with the Mythopoeic Fantasy Awards and are not
              necessarily aware that people here are discussing the nominees or asking
              for loans of books that are on the list. So please, if you are, please
              put a brief note in your message to that effect.

              Thank you.
              Joan

              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2003
                In fact those of you participating might want to make yourself a mailing
                list just for the other discussants -- I've done that for myself for the
                Scholarship awards.

                Janet Croft

                I just want to insert a friendly reminder here that not everyone on this
                list is familiar with the Mythopoeic Fantasy Awards and are not
                necessarily aware that people here are discussing the nominees or asking
                for loans of books that are on the list. So please, if you are, please
                put a brief note in your message to that effect.

                Thank you.
                Joan

                Joan Marie Verba
                verba001@...
                <http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba>

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=229633.3212141.4526654.1261774/D=egroupmai
                l/S=:HM/A=1556779/rand=165508538>

                <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Paul F. Labaki
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2003
                  For those who are interested, _The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke_ is now
                  available through Amazon.uk . It wasn't in early March. Paperback is 8
                  pounds plus shipping. 4 - 6 weeks between ordering and shipping.

                  Peace,
                  Paul Labaki

                • Paul F. Labaki
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 11, 2003
                    I've finished with Lisa's copy of Fairy Feller... I would be glad to mail it
                    out to anyone else looking to review it prior the 15th. Please advise.
                    Lisa, if you would contact me directly with your address, I'll send it back
                    to you.

                    Peace,
                    Paul Labaki