Martin's series

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 1999
      Diane Baker [dianejoy@...] wrote:
      > get his characters out on the quest. On the other hand, Martin (George
      > RR), even though he's going to have *four more books* in the Song of Ice
      > and Fire series after *Clash of Kings*. Yes: that does disturb me.

      In that case, be afraid, Diane. I read in the most recent issue of Locus
      that there will be not four, but SEVEN more volumes, beyond the four
      already contracted, making a total of eleven in the series.

      Numb yet?

      "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while
      even reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling
      the comfort of their serene presence." - Fred Buechner

      Currently reading: Who Wrote Shakespeare? by John Michell
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 1999
        Diane Baker [dianejoy@...] wrote:
        > I'd be very disappointed if he stretched it that far. I read LOCUS
        > myself, but GRRM personally said SIX total. Guess we'll have to see.
        > If it went to 11, I would be very upset indeed; he doesn't need that
        > much space. Wish I'd remembered the LOCUS reference and asked him about
        > it.

        Oh, gosh, Diane, now you've got me wondering if I read it (or remembered
        it) wrong. Lesee... <Matt gets creative with numbers>

        Two already published plus the one he just turned in (or is about to),
        plus four more he contracted, makes seven total. From there, I remembered
        the seven and the four and put them together, having remembered an ugly
        number of volumes to be expected.

        ...and I'm not even sure I've remembered *those* numbers correctly. <g>

        Maybe I'll just take my walker and hobble off into the sunset now....

        "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while
        even reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling
        the comfort of their serene presence." - Fred Buechner

        Currently reading: Song for the Basilisk by Patricia McKillip
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 1999
          Matthew Winslow wrote:

          > From: Matthew Winslow <mwinslow@...>
          >
          > Diane Baker [dianejoy@...] wrote:
          > > get his characters out on the quest. On the other hand, Martin (George
          > > RR), even though he's going to have *four more books* in the Song of Ice
          > > and Fire series after *Clash of Kings*. Yes: that does disturb me.
          >
          > In that case, be afraid, Diane. I read in the most recent issue of Locus
          > that there will be not four, but SEVEN more volumes, beyond the four
          > already contracted, making a total of eleven in the series.
          >
          > Numb yet?

          I'd be very disappointed if he stretched it that far. I read LOCUS
          myself, but GRRM personally said SIX total. Guess we'll have to see.
          If it went to 11, I would be very upset indeed; he doesn't need that
          much space. Wish I'd remembered the LOCUS reference and asked him about
          it.
          Ah, what might have been....
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 1999
            Don't worry about the numbers, Matt---you may have read about the seven
            extras in an earlier LOCUS.

            My Feb. 1999 copy of LOCUS says "GEORGE R. R. MARTIN sold the final
            three books in his "Song of Ice and Fire" hexology, *A Dance With
            Dragons, The Winds of Winter* and *A Time of Wolves* to Anne Groell at
            Bantam via agent Kitty McCauley for "The biggest advance I"ve ever
            gotten." He is working on volume three, *The Storm of Swords,* sold
            earlier, and promises not to take as long as between volumes one and
            two, and that six volumes is *it.* British rights have not yet been
            negotiated." (LOCUS, vol 42 no. 2 issue 457, People & Publishing under
            Books Sold, p. 10).

            I hope that the extra speed will not jeopardize Martin's craftsmanship.
            Oh, dear, the ward nurse is lookin' for the Madwoman! ---djb.