Re: Christmas fantasy

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
      Eleanor Farrell [emfarrell@...] wrote:
      > Connie Willis has been writing Christmas-themed short stories for the
      > magazine _Fantasy & SF_ and these have just been published in a book
      > collection called _Miracle and Other Christmas Stories_. (Bantam Spectra).
      > I just saw this in a bookstore and it's definitely going on my list!

      I just finished _Miracle_ and overall enjoyed it. It's the usual quirkiness
      one expects from Willis's stories. I recommend it to anyone wanting some good
      Christmas stories. Willis also has a good introduction that discusses why so
      many Christmas stories are flat, as well as a good, er, 'dissing' of 'It's a
      Wonderful Life.' It's a riot.

      "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
      --Jorge Luis Borges
      Currently reading: The Stars Compel by Michaela Roessner
    • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
        Here's another half-forgotten query from Princess Airhead:

        Thought it was in my Cheever book, but it's not. Must be in Dad's Christmas
        stories. Anyway, I think it's Biblical in time and geography, protagonist is
        a beggar boy whose master tells him he has ugly eyes and to turn them on
        those he begs from to get them to give him alms. If you've read it you know
        the magic & the ending... anyone?

        Lizzie
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
          > From: Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>

          > Connie Willis has been writing Christmas-themed short stories for the
          > magazine _Fantasy & SF_ and these have just been published in a book
          > collection called _Miracle and Other Christmas Stories_. (Bantam Spectra).
          > I just saw this in a bookstore and it's definitely going on my list!

          And, don't forget, that Willis' _Doomsday Book_ takes place at Christmas
          in the modern part. I really enjoyed her descriptions of what
          21st-century church musicians did to standard Christmas carols. And we
          think it's bad now!

          Berni

          ***Get away from there! Don't come any higher!***