[mythsoc] Trek theories (was RotK Theory)

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 68 , Apr 22, 2003
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan lisa@...
      Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 19:58:08 -0700
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] RotK Theory

      << "Heading off to Eden, Yeah, Brother". Or something like that <g>.>>

      I consider that ep a comedy---though it gave me the willies when I first
      saw it; first the plants burn Checkov, who obligingly screams in the way
      that only Checkov can, then the camera pans out over this lovely *lake.*
      (Oh, yeah, you're REALLY gonna want to DRINK that stuff? I don't THINK
      so!) Least that's what I thought on first viewing.

      <<I actually like both TOS and NG most of the time. Wesley boy wonder gets
      on my nerves, and the second doctor was annoying (but one of the Gene's
      favorite actresses after Majel), >>

      Interesting. Now, understand, I don't collect figurines of any type; my
      addiction is books. However, I *do* have perhaps one of the few Kate
      Pulaski figurines in existence. I rather liked her crumudgeonly
      imperfections; she at least wasn't so insufferably perfect and utopian.
      (Maybe I just liked her because she reminded me of a female McCoy?) It was
      so refreshing to see an intelligent, competent woman who was more
      mature---and not necessarily a babe (though Diana Muldar *was* a babe in
      earlier films).

      << but it did pretty good and some times was wonderful. There are a number
      of episodes I can watch over and over. And since I can recognize most
      episodes in the first 10 seconds, I can make the decision pretty quickly.>>

      My least fave TNG ep was Wesley and the Planet of the Runners, and Tasha
      Visits Afro-world. Ranks down there with the guys with the Black /
      Whitefaces and the Comms and the Yangs eps from TOS. My fave TNG eps are
      "Inner Light," "Loud as a Whisper" and "Darmok." I also like the Klingon
      episodes; usually they're strong. All great stories!

      << I go to enough of the fan run cons to have met several of the Eden
      episode actors, they are quite nice actually. Even Walter Koenig is a
      sweetie (and SHORT).>>

      It surprised me how short and tiny most TV actors are, though that's not
      ALWAYS true. I once saw the costumes from Mel Gibson's *Hamlet.* It
      shocked me how *shoddy* they looked up close; I've seen better work in SF
      costume masquerades and in the SCA. Though I'm sure there are limits on
      time, budget and other considerations that fans might not always consider.
      ---djb

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 68 of 68 , May 14, 2003
        You're forgetting that Mae West wrote her own material, and that
        material (well, some of it) has been published, so even a kid like
        me can get some idea of what couldn't get onto film. There exists a
        little volume, _Three Plays by Mae West_, you should track down. I
        just checked Amazon.com and the paperback edition is still in print.

        I'm not forgetting that Ernest. But this is one of those times that the
        delivery is half the package. I guess if I saw some of the movies and
        THEN read the plays, I might "get" it. ?

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia