Re: [mythsoc] Elvish linguists

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 22, 2003
      In a message dated 4/22/2003 12:18:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
      lisa@... writes:

      > And I'm an Amateur compared to some of my friends who have Bookcases of
      > Various Editions in various languages. They are the True Collectors.

      At Milwaukee Mythcon we had a special presentation of Tolkien Collectors
      Anonymous. (Hello, I'm John and I'm...) I seem to remember Gary Hunnewell
      (?) with a book jacket taped to his arm: "I'm trying to kick the habit with
      The Patch."

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 22, 2003
        Actually, that was me with "The Patch" (speaking of Elvish linguists
        and humor(lessness)).

        On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 10:24 AM, Stolzi@... wrote:

        > At Milwaukee Mythcon we had a special presentation of Tolkien
        > Collectors
        > Anonymous. (Hello, I'm John and I'm...) I seem to remember Gary
        > Hunnewell
        > (?) with a book jacket taped to his arm: "I'm trying to kick the
        > habit with
        > The Patch."

        | |
        | Ars longa, vita brevis. |

      • William Calhoun
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 23, 2003
          >Ethics and justice are, or should be, universal concepts. If we have to
          >refer to something particular like Star Trek in order to teach these
          >concepts to the next generation, then we should give up on them. The
          >generation, that is

          Universal concepts must be placed in a particular context, otherwise they
          have no meaning and no applicability. ANY attempt to talk about ethics and
          justice must at some point refer to specific acts, people, places and
          situations. If it doesn't then it's irrelevant.

          Bright Blessings,

          William