Finding your discussion group online

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17 8:43 AM
      I hope those of you who aren't in a local Mythopoeic Society discussion group
      will excuse me for bringing up this matter that might not interest you. For
      those of you who do belong to such a group, has anyone found out about your
      local group by discovering the group online? We have had several such cases
      already at Knossos (the Washington, D.C. area group). Several people have
      found out about the group by finding the Mythopoeic Society website. One
      found us by Googling on "book discussion group," "Alexandria," and
      "Virginia." Does anyone else have similar stories?

      Wendell Wagner
    • Ernest S. Tomlinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17 8:53 AM
        On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:43:08 EDT, WendellWag@... said:

        > Does anyone else have similar stories?

        I found the "Mithlond" Seattle group online. (Although things have been
        rather silent of late...and I've only been to one meeting, on account of
        life getting in the way.)

        Ernest.
        --
        Ernest S. Tomlinson / thiophene@...
        "If you can talk brilliantly about a problem, it can create the consoling
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22 6:59 AM
          WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
          > I hope those of you who aren't in a local Mythopoeic Society discussion group
          > will excuse me for bringing up this matter that might not interest you. For
          > those of you who do belong to such a group, has anyone found out about your
          > local group by discovering the group online? We have had several such cases
          > already at Knossos (the Washington, D.C. area group). Several people have
          > found out about the group by finding the Mythopoeic Society website. One
          > found us by Googling on "book discussion group," "Alexandria," and
          > "Virginia." Does anyone else have similar stories?

          As the Society's Discussion Group Secretary, I'd be very interested in any
          usually from folks that can't find a group in their area. As the email contact
          for the Seattle group, I get an inquiry about once a month. The Seattle group
          went into hibernation for a couple years when the core members either moved or
          lost interest and we didn't have critical mass. We restarted the group a year
          ago after I had rec'd a half-dozen or so inquiries, all due to the Web site.

          "It's a poor story that becomes less interesting the more attention one
          gives to it, and a poor reader who insists that reading a good story with
          attention is less fulfilling than reading it superficially."
          --Kevin Maroney
          Currently reading: The Worm Ouroboros by E.R. Eddison