two questions about Tom Bombadil and Tree & Leaf

  • Vincent Ferré
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16, 2003
      Good evening,

      1) we are now revising the translation of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, and I am wondering about the name of a Hobbit : Mrs. Bunce (in Perry the Winkle). according to Foster's Guide (58), this name is to be found in LoR too... but the index is of no help. Does anyone know where I could find the precise page of this occurrence ?

      2) in Christopher Tolkien's preface to Tree and Leaf, he mentions "seven versions" of "Mythopoeia" ; among them, "the first four texts begin 'He looks at trees' [...] (and the title of the earliest was 'Nisomythos : a long answer to a short nonsense')."
      does it mean that only 1 version bears that title ? I think that it is the right choice, but I'd rather not make a mistake

      many thanks in advance

      Vincent

    • David S Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2003
        Vincent wrote,

        >1) we are now revising the translation of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil,
        >and I am wondering about the name of a Hobbit : Mrs. Bunce (in Perry the
        >Winkle). according to Foster's Guide (58), this name is to be found in LoR
        >too... but the index is of no help. Does anyone know where I could find the
        >precise page of this occurrence ?

        Foster gives page references, but all but the latest editions of Foster
        refer only to the Ballantine paperback, which perhaps you do not
        have. Anyway, a Mimosa Bunce appears in the Baggins family tree in
        Appendix C. She married a great-uncle of Bilbo's named Ponto, and became
        an ancestress of Merry and Pippin. That's the only appearance of "Bunce"
        in LOTR.

        >2) in Christopher Tolkien's preface to Tree and Leaf, he mentions "seven
        >versions" of "Mythopoeia" ; among them, "the first four texts begin 'He
        >looks at trees' [...] (and the title of the earliest was 'Nisomythos : a
        >long answer to a short nonsense')."
        >does it mean that only 1 version bears that title ? I think that it is the
        >right choice, but I'd rather not make a mistake

        That's what it seems to me to say too.

        David Bratman
      • Vincent Ferré
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2003