G.G. Kay's writing, New & Improved!

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2003
      on 4/14/03 9:26 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com at mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      wrote:

      I think that the writing has improved immensely. I got through the first
      Fionavar volume, many years ago, and possibly read part of the second, but
      couldn't stand any more. (Was it a MFA nominee, or was this because of him
      being goh at Mythcon??) I would never have tried another but for the fact
      that _Tigana_ was a MFA finalist at some point. I didn't like the book
      greatly, but I thought it very respectable, and 100% better than the earlier
      book. I thought the "Sarantium Mosaic" was magnificent, and if I have some
      quibbles with it (and I do) I wouldn't really characterize the writing as
      any more "sloppy" than other MFA finalists. But I haven't read any other
      among his books (except for _The Silmarillion_).

      Compared with Stephen Donaldson (who did much improve as a writer over the
      course of his first 4 books, but at the rate he was going, I still want to
      wait another decade or two before trying any more), or Nancy Springer (who
      went from _The Book of Suns_, probably a worse book than Donaldson's or
      Kay's first, to brilliant work like _Fair Peril_ and some of her children's
      books) and I'd say Kay is more like Springer, he's REALLY improved, and you
      might want to try the recent work.

      I'm looking forward to what Alexei might have to say about books like Kay's
      recent work, or _Curse of Chalion_, where some readers have questioned why
      the author writes a fantasy world setting based so closely on a setting from
      our world's history in the upcoming July Butterbur, which he's promised us
      since this past December. Incidentally, I recently finished rereading
      _Curse_, and while I LIKE the first segment of the book, which I think is
      more like 200 pages, rather than merely 100, I agree that the book becomes
      *really* interesting once Our Hero achieves his sainthood and acquires his
      saintly vision. Unfortunately, for some reason this book had stayed with me
      less well than many others from last year, so when we had our discussion
      with Lois Bujold, I wasn't that far in rereading, yet, and though I recalled
      that it had been well-justified as a finalist and even MFA winner, I
      couldn't quite recall why I had thought so. I think, now, having reread
      with more care than I'd originally brought to the book, I understand this
      much better. I'd recommend the book not only to anyone who likes Bujold's
      other work, but to anyone interested in mythopoeic fantasy of the sort that
      we seek to recognize with the MFA. In other words, even if you're not a big
      Miles Verkosigan fan, you might like this book. (And I'm not checking the
      spelling on that character's name, so it's probably wrong).

      > Message: 6
      > Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:29:28 -0500
      > From: Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...>
      > Subject: Re: The Curse of Chalion
      >
      > David S Bratman writes:
      >> I've heard that his writing has improved since then. But by how much?
      >
      > He's still sloppy, though IMO, the Sarentine stuff is a lot -less-
      > sloppy than a lot of his intermediate work. And he's doing a decent
      > worldbuilding job now rather than throwing in any old thing and
      > calling it fantasy. And his plotting and characters have improved a
      > great deal (but that's not what people love the Fionavar tapestry
      > for).
      >
      > Mostly...his post-Fionavar work has been much more of a piece than any
      > of it is with the Fionavar stuff...and has been getting better as
      > things went, but isn't really comperable with Fionavar -- either in
      > terms of characters, theme, or worldbuilding, for the most part.

      -- David Lenander
      293 Selby Ave. St. Paul, MN 55102-1811
      d-lena@... 651-292-8887