The Curse of Chalion

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 13, 2003
      David S Bratman wrote:

      > Joan, that's pretty much how I felt about "The Fionavar Tapestry" by Guy
      > Gavriel Kay.

      > Yes, it did get better. But it was still terrible, just not as terrible.

      I appreciate the advice. I haven't read The Fionavar Tapestry by Kay,
      but if I ever do, and it's boring for the first 100 pages, I'll leave it
      there.

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
        David S Bratman writes:
        >I've heard that his writing has improved since then. But by how much?

        He's still sloppy, though IMO, the Sarentine stuff is a lot -less-
        sloppy than a lot of his intermediate work. And he's doing a decent
        worldbuilding job now rather than throwing in any old thing and
        calling it fantasy. And his plotting and characters have improved a
        great deal (but that's not what people love the Fionavar tapestry
        for).

        Mostly...his post-Fionavar work has been much more of a piece than any
        of it is with the Fionavar stuff...and has been getting better as
        things went, but isn't really comperable with Fionavar -- either in
        terms of characters, theme, or worldbuilding, for the most part.

        --
        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
        --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'