Nobility, was bilious

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2003
      CS Lewis points out in one of his letters that we all have an equally long
      ancestry, it's just that in the case of royalty and nobility, more steps of
      it are known.

      As a counterpoint to which, I might add that a recent article is out there in
      which a man got curious and used computer number theory on genealogical
      research: he says that anyone who has North European ancestry - which is
      probably most of us here - is descended from royalty. Anyone. (Also that
      we're all descended from the Prophet Muhammad, which I personally could do
      without... but there it is!)

      What is that quote from the Narnia Chronicles about "You are all descendants
      of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve" -- ? Ah, here it is.

      "I do indeed, Sir," said Caspian. "I was wishing that I came of a more
      honourable lineage."

      "You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve," said Aslan. "And that is both
      honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to
      bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth. Be content."

      [Just this minute thinking... an emperor on WHICH earth?]

      Diamond Proudbrook
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2003
        In a message dated 3/28/2003 9:38:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > . . . I might add that a recent article is out there in
        > which a man got curious and used computer number theory on genealogical
        > research . . .

        This is a nitpicky point, but whatever mathematical methods this man used and
        whatever computer resources he used, he did not use "computer number theory."
        I've tried to think of any possible way to apply number theory to this
        subject and I can't come up with any. There is no subject called "computer
        number theory," as far as I know. I presume you mean just that this man
        found a mathematical technique to analyze genealogical data and used
        computers to aid his research.