Patrick Stewart CHRISTMAS CAROL

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
      Ted wrote:

      >Yes, I saw the '84 SP with Andrews and Jane Seymour as Lady Pimpernel.

      I saw that, too. It was great!

      >When was the recent Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on and what
      >network (Fox, if I heard on the radio correctly)? Anybody know if it'll
      >be replayed?

      It was on TNT.

      >And Joan, where'd you get the audiotape of Stewart's
      >one-man Christmas Carol? Is it still available?

      The ISBN is 0-671-76932-4. From Simon and Schuster audioworks.
      Barnes and Noble used to carry it, and may still have it.

      Joan

      * Joan Marie Verba verba001@... *
      * Mythopoeic Press Secretary *
      * List Administrator for Doctor's Exchange list, Mythopoeic Society list* *
      * MNSCBWI list, MNSCREENW list *
      * http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *
      * http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/FTL_Publications *
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
        Yes, I saw the '84 SP with Andrews and Jane Seymour as Lady Pimpernel.
        Who was it that played Robespierre--Michael York???

        When was the recent Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on and what
        network (Fox, if I heard on the radio correctly)? Anybody know if it'll
        be replayed? And Joan, where'd you get the audiotape of Stewart's
        one-man Christmas Carol? Is it still available?

        Ted

        ERATRIANO@... wrote:

        > From: ERATRIANO@...
        >
        > In a message dated 12/06/1999 5:57:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > edolen@... writes:
        >
        > << Bob Cratchit, but he was also the Scarlett Pimpernel on A&E
        > recently.
        > >>
        > Is this a new movie of SP or the one I sawin the UK on TV in 1984... Anthony
        > Andrews I think it was.
        >
        > Uh, never mind, question already answered. Anyone else see that older one?
        >
        > Lizzie

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythlore: The Journal of the Mythopoeic Society
        Department of English, Box X041
        College of Liberal Arts
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37130
        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
        tsherman@...

        6545 Dynasty Drive
        Murfreesboro, TN 37128
        615 848-0898
        tedsherman@...
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
          In a message dated 12/6/99 8:23:36 AM Central Standard Time,
          verba001@... writes:

          > George C. Scott as Scrooge.

          I agree - that was a good one too. But Stewart's was so close to the
          original -- more so, if I recollect, than the Scott.

          Mary S
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
            In a message dated 12/6/99 6:12:11 AM Central Standard Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            > According to the Internet Movie Database (which answers all possible movie
            > and TV questions), Bob Cratchit is Richard E. Grant, the First Spirit is
            > Joel
            > Grey, the Second Spirit is Desmond Barrit, and the Third Spirit is Tim
            > Potter. Edward Petherbridge played Foster.

            O Lawered, Wendell, I'm embarrased I forgot to go to IMDB. Thanks for the
            info! Yes, I saw Grant as the Pimpernel - what a difference. I recognized
            Joel Grey. Don't know Desmond Barrit, but thought he was excellent.

            I can't place "Foster." Must have been a minor part. Petherbridge, as some
            will recall, played Lord Peter Wimsey in an excellent series of
            dramatizations -- looked like him, too.

            Mary S
          • Diane Baker
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
              Stolzi@... wrote:

              > From: Stolzi@...
              >
              > Closer in looks, feel, and text to the original than any adaptation I have
              > seen. Excellent!

              I still like the George C. Scott version (w/ Edward Woodward as the
              Ghost of Christmas Present), though Stewart really shines when Scrooge
              is redeemed; I think it's hard for Stewart to be really menacing and
              mean of heart (though as a Borg, he was outstanding).

              > But I couldn't resist saying "Captain's Log..." when Scrooge sat down at his
              > ledger and began to write.

              Sure!

              > Can anyone tell me the casting for the Ghost of Christmas Present (who was
              > very good), and for Bob Cratchit? Was the latter Edward Petherbridge?

              I'll review my tape and hope they list everyone; the print was awfully
              small and scrolled too quickly. ---djb.
              > Mary S

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                Stolzi@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 12/6/99 8:23:36 AM Central Standard Time,
                > verba001@... writes:
                >
                > > George C. Scott as Scrooge.
                >
                > I agree - that was a good one too. But Stewart's was so close to the
                > original -- more so, if I recollect, than the Scott.
                >
                > Mary S

                My favorite version is "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol."

                Berni ("I'd like some razzleberry dressing.")
              • Eleanor Farrell
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                  Well, I have to say my favorite is _The Muppets Christmas Carol_. .......
                  gotta love that Marley duo and the ghost of Christmas Future was pretty
                  scary. Michael Caine was sure having a lot of fun, too.

                  Ellie

                  Eleanor M. Farrell
                  Editor, Mythprint
                  P.O. Box 320486
                  San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
                  E-mail: emfarrell@...

                  Mythprint: Mythopoeic Society newsletter