Re: [mythsoc] bilious

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 27, 2003
      At 08:00 PM 3/26/2003 , Wendell wrote:

      >Put it this way. ... When someone from an upper-middle-class
      >background complains about the high cost of gas because they drive sixty
      >miles each way to work since they insist ... [etc etc and more etc]

      Oh sure, these people annoy me too. But that is far removed from disgust
      at artistocrat-privileging societies, which was the topic.

      And there's one other thing. You were saying something about people who
      repeatedly bitch about minor irritants?

      >My point wasn't actually whether I had met any aristocrats whatsoever. My
      >point was that they are such a small proportion in modern British society
      >that they are of no consequence to me.

      They were a small proportion back when they were of great consequence, too.

      >I'm not offended by aristocrats
      >because there's such a tiny number of them (and many of them aren't remotely
      >rich). They have no real effect on society, and there's something quaint
      >about their continued existence.

      Their continued existence? What, you were expecting them to die off from
      sheer embarrassment at their wealthy ancestors?

      - David Bratman
    • William
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 29, 2003
        >Would you really "cheer in real life if the peasants revolted and killed
        >all the aristocrats"?

        I know I wouldn't. Especially since in the eyes of the majority of the
        world, the average American or European IS an aristocrat. We have the
        education, riches and privileges (and assumption of superiority) that rivals
        any aristo in history. If aristos are the enemy, then the enemy is us.

        Bright Blessings,

        William