Re: Re: [mythsoc] bilious

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 27, 2003
      Correction: I'm applying it to my speculation as to why Ernest might have
      not found the Vorkosigan books enticing enough to read. I haven't read
      them either, for reasons of my own: I tend not to like space opera. Maybe
      they're good, but I've had too many bad books recommended to me with great
      enthusiasm.

      - David Bratman

      At 12:26 PM 3/27/2003 , Joshua wrote:
      >alexeik@... writes:
      >>natural, even if there no longer is a monarchy. What David was alluding
      to, I
      >>think, was the superficial tossing-about of traditional-sounding titles for
      >>cheap effect, in fictional contexts where such a social system doesn't have
      >>any plausible historical roots.
      >
      >Except that he's applying it to the Vorkosigan novels, where the
      >social ssytem -does- have plausible historical roots (and where, in
      >fact, a social revolution is occuring during the books, largely thanks
      >to a single imported invention).
    • William
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 29, 2003
        >Would you really "cheer in real life if the peasants revolted and killed
        >all the aristocrats"?

        I know I wouldn't. Especially since in the eyes of the majority of the
        world, the average American or European IS an aristocrat. We have the
        education, riches and privileges (and assumption of superiority) that rivals
        any aristo in history. If aristos are the enemy, then the enemy is us.

        Bright Blessings,

        William