Re: MereLewis... or not

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
      ERATRIANO@... wrote:

      > From: ERATRIANO@...
      >
      > I want my writing to live there too.

      I'd like to know more. I'm also writing a series of fantasies, but on
      this list, who isn't!? :-) The impulse for fantasy extends very far
      for some of us!

      > I like that idea of old book / new book. How do you count a book started in
      > the past but not finished? ggg When I get it together a little more I will
      > try again at Kazantzakis "Report to Greco," I think his stuff is just
      > transcendental.

      For me, unfinished books are still "new," in terms of "a fresh reading
      experience." I think CSL was also thinking about "new" meaning
      "modern." I think he'd very much argue with you about confining
      yourself to modern works. He felt a great deal of modern stuff was
      rubbish---not all of it, of course. He was of the opinion that reading
      books from historical periods gets me out of our common 20th century
      time-trap, and refreshes my point of view about things.

      Katzantakis sounds interesting; I saw the film *Last Temptation of
      Christ* (and couldn't figure what all the ruckus was about since it all
      took place within the context of a dream, and reinforced the need for
      Christ to die on the Cross.) I have not read the book, alas, and have
      not seen *Report from Greco.* ---djb.

    • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
        In a message dated 12/06/1999 10:45:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        dianejoy@... writes:

        << I think he'd very much argue with you about confining
        yourself to modern works. >>
        Oh, this cyberchat, it's so difficult sometimes! ggg I guess what I mean
        is, I've read so MUCH that is of the past... I don't want to be confined
        THERE. Rather than the other way around. It's like assertiveness training,
        ggg, making an effort to do what does Not come naturally.

        Lizzie Princess Airhead who needs to add "so many books, so little time!" and
        something about writing to that sig line ...

        Lizzie the Bitchen Biker Turkey Buzzard Grinnin' Doll Playin' Freedom of
        Speech Speekin' But Backs Off When The Coals Get A Wee Bit Hot Beadin' Babe!

        Turkey what? www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/2003/page16.html
        (note this is NOT My homepage, I don't have one.)

        They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall
        be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea. (Isaiah
        11:9)
      • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
          dianejoy@... writes:

          << Katzantakis sounds interesting; I saw the film *Last Temptation of
          Christ* (and couldn't figure what all the ruckus was about since it all
          took place within the context of a dream, and reinforced the need for
          Christ to die on the Cross.) I have not read the book, alas, and have
          not seen *Report from Greco.* - >>
          "Report to Greco," and it's a book. Read Kazantzakis. he's delicious. Try
          "Saint Francis," if you like. I love his story of wherefrom the bat.

          Lizzie