Austen

  • Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2003
      Wendell wrote:
      Because of the law of primogeniture, many of her heroines are in danger of
      not inheriting an income to live on from their parents and thus might
      actually have to work for a living.

      Wendell,

      Just how many jobs as governess do you think there were? Even if a young
      woman got one of them, she was hardly in for a life of ease. She wasn't a
      servant or quite a lady; she was often lonely and seldom well-paid. Jane
      Austen's heroines are, for the most part, well aware of the consequences of
      failing to catch a husband who was able to provide for them. There were
      independent English women in Austen's time, but so far as I know they
      almost all inherited at least a small income.

      For many reasons, I'm glad I live now and not then.

      Jane
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27, 2003
        In a message dated 3/27/2003 3:19:15 PM Central Standard Time,
        jbigelow@... writes:

        > Jane
        > Austen's heroines are, for the most part, well aware of the consequences of
        > failing to catch a husband who was able to provide for them. There were
        > independent English women in Austen's time, but so far as I know they
        > almost all inherited at least a small income.

        We might add that Jane herself failed to "catch" one, and after her father's
        death her mother, Jane, and her sister eked out a living mostly on subsidies
        from richer relatives - mostly the brothers of the family. One of the sons
        had been adopted into a rich relative's family, in fact, the parents seeing
        this sacrifice as providing him additional security.

        But they did not have to turn to teaching, the avenue tried with only
        moderate success by the Bronte sisters.

        Diamond Proudbrook