Re: Re: [mythsoc] bilious

  • Joshua Kronengold
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 27, 2003
      alexeik@... writes:
      >natural, even if there no longer is a monarchy. What David was alluding to, I
      >think, was the superficial tossing-about of traditional-sounding titles for
      >cheap effect, in fictional contexts where such a social system doesn't have
      >any plausible historical roots.

      Except that he's applying it to the Vorkosigan novels, where the
      social ssytem -does- have plausible historical roots (and where, in
      fact, a social revolution is occuring during the books, largely thanks
      to a single imported invention).

      > (And yes, _The Fall of the Kings_ is a fantastic book!) :-)

      It's very good. I don't, personally, like it as much as Swordspoint,
      but I certainly eargerly await other books about that suniverse from
      it's authors.

      --
      Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
      --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 29, 2003
        >Would you really "cheer in real life if the peasants revolted and killed
        >all the aristocrats"?

        I know I wouldn't. Especially since in the eyes of the majority of the
        world, the average American or European IS an aristocrat. We have the
        education, riches and privileges (and assumption of superiority) that rivals
        any aristo in history. If aristos are the enemy, then the enemy is us.

        Bright Blessings,

        William