Re: [mythsoc] literary litmus tests

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2003
      In a message dated 3/26/2003 8:50:29 PM Central Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > That's not the only thing he gets wrong, if you're quoting him accurately.
      > I know a book that begins "In a hole in the ground ...", but perhaps that's
      > not the same book after all.

      Whoops, sorry, let me look it up to be exact. I meant to go look in the book
      before sending my last post, but best intentions and all that...

      OK, here's what he says, and the error (other than eliminating "there") is
      mine:

      "I. N. In. A. a. H, o, l, e. In a hole. I, n, t, h, e, g, r, o, u, n, d. In
      a hole in the ground. L-i-v-e-d-a-h-o-b-b-i-t. In a hole in the ground lived
      a hobbit... And then I never stopped again."

      Just now dipped back into his pages on THE HOBBIT and the passage is SO good
      - and too rich to pick out little bits for quoting. But you'd love it,
      David.

      Diamond Proudbrook