Patrick Stewart CHRISTMAS CAROL

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 1999
      Mary wrote:

      >Closer in looks, feel, and text to the original than any adaptation I have
      >seen. Excellent!

      I've been a member of the Patrick Stewart fan club since the 1980s. I have
      Patrick Stewart reading "A Christmas Carol" on tape and it is outstanding.
      I play it every year. Therefore, I had high expectations for this
      production.

      Unfortunately, the production did not work for me. My opinion is that the
      best production of "A Christmas Carol" to date is the one starring the late
      George C. Scott as Scrooge.

      Joan

      * Joan Marie Verba verba001@... *
      * Mythopoeic Press Secretary *
      * List Administrator for Doctor's Exchange list, Mythopoeic Society list* *
      * MNSCBWI list, MNSCREENW list *
      * http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *
      * http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/FTL_Publications *
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
        Ted wrote:

        >Yes, I saw the '84 SP with Andrews and Jane Seymour as Lady Pimpernel.

        I saw that, too. It was great!

        >When was the recent Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on and what
        >network (Fox, if I heard on the radio correctly)? Anybody know if it'll
        >be replayed?

        It was on TNT.

        >And Joan, where'd you get the audiotape of Stewart's
        >one-man Christmas Carol? Is it still available?

        The ISBN is 0-671-76932-4. From Simon and Schuster audioworks.
        Barnes and Noble used to carry it, and may still have it.

        Joan

        * Joan Marie Verba verba001@... *
        * Mythopoeic Press Secretary *
        * List Administrator for Doctor's Exchange list, Mythopoeic Society list* *
        * MNSCBWI list, MNSCREENW list *
        * http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *
        * http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/FTL_Publications *
      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
          Yes, I saw the '84 SP with Andrews and Jane Seymour as Lady Pimpernel.
          Who was it that played Robespierre--Michael York???

          When was the recent Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on and what
          network (Fox, if I heard on the radio correctly)? Anybody know if it'll
          be replayed? And Joan, where'd you get the audiotape of Stewart's
          one-man Christmas Carol? Is it still available?

          Ted

          ERATRIANO@... wrote:

          > From: ERATRIANO@...
          >
          > In a message dated 12/06/1999 5:57:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          > edolen@... writes:
          >
          > << Bob Cratchit, but he was also the Scarlett Pimpernel on A&E
          > recently.
          > >>
          > Is this a new movie of SP or the one I sawin the UK on TV in 1984... Anthony
          > Andrews I think it was.
          >
          > Uh, never mind, question already answered. Anyone else see that older one?
          >
          > Lizzie

          Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
          Mythlore: The Journal of the Mythopoeic Society
          Department of English, Box X041
          College of Liberal Arts
          Middle Tennessee State University
          Murfreesboro, TN 37130
          615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
          tsherman@...

          6545 Dynasty Drive
          Murfreesboro, TN 37128
          615 848-0898
          tedsherman@...
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
            In a message dated 12/6/99 8:23:36 AM Central Standard Time,
            verba001@... writes:

            > George C. Scott as Scrooge.

            I agree - that was a good one too. But Stewart's was so close to the
            original -- more so, if I recollect, than the Scott.

            Mary S
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
              In a message dated 12/6/99 6:12:11 AM Central Standard Time,
              WendellWag@... writes:

              > According to the Internet Movie Database (which answers all possible movie
              > and TV questions), Bob Cratchit is Richard E. Grant, the First Spirit is
              > Joel
              > Grey, the Second Spirit is Desmond Barrit, and the Third Spirit is Tim
              > Potter. Edward Petherbridge played Foster.

              O Lawered, Wendell, I'm embarrased I forgot to go to IMDB. Thanks for the
              info! Yes, I saw Grant as the Pimpernel - what a difference. I recognized
              Joel Grey. Don't know Desmond Barrit, but thought he was excellent.

              I can't place "Foster." Must have been a minor part. Petherbridge, as some
              will recall, played Lord Peter Wimsey in an excellent series of
              dramatizations -- looked like him, too.

              Mary S
            • Diane Baker
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                Stolzi@... wrote:

                > From: Stolzi@...
                >
                > Closer in looks, feel, and text to the original than any adaptation I have
                > seen. Excellent!

                I still like the George C. Scott version (w/ Edward Woodward as the
                Ghost of Christmas Present), though Stewart really shines when Scrooge
                is redeemed; I think it's hard for Stewart to be really menacing and
                mean of heart (though as a Borg, he was outstanding).

                > But I couldn't resist saying "Captain's Log..." when Scrooge sat down at his
                > ledger and began to write.

                Sure!

                > Can anyone tell me the casting for the Ghost of Christmas Present (who was
                > very good), and for Bob Cratchit? Was the latter Edward Petherbridge?

                I'll review my tape and hope they list everyone; the print was awfully
                small and scrolled too quickly. ---djb.
                > Mary S

              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                  Stolzi@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 12/6/99 8:23:36 AM Central Standard Time,
                  > verba001@... writes:
                  >
                  > > George C. Scott as Scrooge.
                  >
                  > I agree - that was a good one too. But Stewart's was so close to the
                  > original -- more so, if I recollect, than the Scott.
                  >
                  > Mary S

                  My favorite version is "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol."

                  Berni ("I'd like some razzleberry dressing.")
                • Eleanor Farrell
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                    Well, I have to say my favorite is _The Muppets Christmas Carol_. .......
                    gotta love that Marley duo and the ghost of Christmas Future was pretty
                    scary. Michael Caine was sure having a lot of fun, too.

                    Ellie

                    Eleanor M. Farrell
                    Editor, Mythprint
                    P.O. Box 320486
                    San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
                    E-mail: emfarrell@...

                    Mythprint: Mythopoeic Society newsletter