RE: [mythsoc] bilious

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 26, 2003
      And to add to what Wendell and others have been saying -- Aragorn is not
      just worthy to be king because of his birth. There were generations of Heirs
      of Isildur before him who did not seek the kingship. Aragorn proves himself
      over and over again -- he serves in disguise in Rohan and Gondor in his
      youth, and later wanders in the wilderness on missions we know nothing
      about. We see him making tactical decisions and learning how to lead in his
      own name. Even in a society without aristocrats, his actions and character
      would have led him to a high leadership position; he goes through what the
      republican Romans called a cursus honorum, being trained in military and
      civilian leadership by his experiences.

      Janet Croft

      snip

      So in comparison I'm not that bothered by fantasy novels where noble birth
      is
      treated as if it actually mattered. But in any case _The Lord of the Rings_

      is not like that. It's made clear in Tolkien that anybody, no matter how
      minor, can affect the outcome of the story. Aragorn is only one character
      in
      the novel, and in the beginning he's not even living in a castle. He's a
      wanderer who looks like a thief.

      Wendell Wagner

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.3095115.4417700.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
      27:HM/A=1430287/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
      uite=A33405>

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245327.3095115.4417700.1612068/D=egroupmai
      l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=278654871>

      <http://www.mythsoc.org>

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • William
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 29, 2003
        >Would you really "cheer in real life if the peasants revolted and killed
        >all the aristocrats"?

        I know I wouldn't. Especially since in the eyes of the majority of the
        world, the average American or European IS an aristocrat. We have the
        education, riches and privileges (and assumption of superiority) that rivals
        any aristo in history. If aristos are the enemy, then the enemy is us.

        Bright Blessings,

        William