Re: [mythsoc] bilious

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 26, 2003
      In a message dated 3/26/2003 5:26:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > What I have met occasionally both
      > in the U.S. and the U.K. are whiny people with middle-class to
      > upper-middle-class jobs (and who were born in middle-class to
      > upper-middle-class families) who think that their problems are anything but
      >
      > trivial. I keep hoping that they will get fired, go bankrupt, and end up
      > in
      > some minimum-wage job where they will have to find out what the problems of
      >
      > real people are like.

      Wendell, I do volunteer work with homeless families who have the kind of
      "real world" problems you're wishing on the whiny wealthy. I wouldn't wish
      such problems on *anybody.*

      No problems are trivial to the people experiencing them. And everyone's
      "real."

      I share your objections to whining -- although I've been known to do it
      myself! -- but lower-income people whine too, believe me. Whining is a
      personality trait, not a function of socioeconomic class.

      Rather than wishing poverty on anyone, I wish for a world in which Wendell
      Wagner can't find any problems that don't seem "trivial." ;-)

      Pax tecum,
      Susan

    • William
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 29, 2003
        >Would you really "cheer in real life if the peasants revolted and killed
        >all the aristocrats"?

        I know I wouldn't. Especially since in the eyes of the majority of the
        world, the average American or European IS an aristocrat. We have the
        education, riches and privileges (and assumption of superiority) that rivals
        any aristo in history. If aristos are the enemy, then the enemy is us.

        Bright Blessings,

        William