Re: yrderzomenymororses..,

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 22 9:05 AM
      Tom & Maria T [wttatham@...] wrote:
      > From: "Tom & Maria T" <wttatham@...>
      >
      > Recently read selectively in a book of fantasy short stories published in
      > honor of a Tolkien anniversary (sorry, I can't remember the name of the
      > book, or the anniversary event), and found that a lot of the stories written
      > in his honor, by his successors, so called, weren't like his work -- only
      > one was decidedly similar and very well done.

      This sounds like After the King: Stories in Honor of JRR Tolkien. It was
      not intended to be tales *like* Tolkien, but just stories written by
      fantasists who were influenced by him.

      As to the general topic of using Tolkien's name in vain <g>, I've always
      seen it just as what it is: marketing. And like most marketing, I ignore
      it. It's just a cheap attempt to make a few sales to the gullible.

      "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while
      even reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling
      the comfort of their serene presence." - Fred Buechner

      Currently reading: Who Wrote Shakespeare? by John Michell
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22 11:22 AM
        A comment on what seems to be the all too frequent
        > reference that a particular fantasy epic story
        > compares to J.R.R.T.'s work. Even before
        > I learned that Middle Earth was Tolkien's
        > life work or his views on Mytopoeicism, I
        > found it difficult to compare
        > stories like: "Ralph Bashki's Wizards" (or more
        > recently Terry Goodkind's Wizards series) with
        > The Hobbit or the LOTR, or Silmarillion, or
        > Lost Stories, or...
        > I'm interested in knowing if others feel the
        > same way. bill pierce

        I began cringing years ago when JRRT's name was invoked with reference
        to fantasy, plastered all over everything from soup to nuts. I pay no
        attention to blurbs unless Madeline L'Engle's name is attatched, and I
        don't think she gives her name out to just any author; I trust that
        she's actually read the book and has enjoyed it as much as she says she
        does. Most especially, one can't compare a movie to a boook: these are
        two entirely different artistic media with extremely varied
        requirements.

        As for Terry Goodkind, he's not in Tolkien's league (is anybody?), but
        he's not as bad as Jordan, who needed ten chapters (loooonngg ones) to
        get his characters out on the quest. On the other hand, Martin (George
        RR), even though he's going to have *four more books* in the Song of Ice
        and Fire series after *Clash of Kings*. Yes: that does disturb me.
        Still, I trust him to be much better than either Jordan or Goodkind.
        Still, I wouldn't say he's doing what Tolkien did. You need lots of
        space to re-do the War of the Roses. He's made up his own world, but the
        specifics in it are much more generic than Tolkien's creation. Still, he
        can be very rich, even with generics: cloaks of sable "thick, black,
        and soft as sin."

        I just got my copy of *Clash* at an autograph signing, where I spoke to
        Martin personally. (Also got *Fevre Dream* and *Game* autographed.
        Nice man, Martin.)

        ---djb.
      • gfunk@xxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxx)
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 24 4:14 PM
          To Diane Baker
          You wrote "As for Terry Goodkind, he can be very rich, even with generics:
          cloaks of sable "thick, black,and soft as sin."
          Terry Goodkind did not make up that phrase (even though he may think he
          did, I suppose). He is quoting from the poem "Lepanto" by G.K. Chesterton.

          "King Philip's in his closet wiyh the Fleece about his neck,
          (Don John of Austria is armed upon the deck)
          The walls are hung with velvet that is blacvk and soft aas sin,
          And little dwarfs creep out of it and little dwarfs creep in."
          Grace E. Funk
          --------------

          Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333
        • LeslieJ55@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 25 2:49 AM
            Comment to MamaT:
            Would be great if you could name the book, and tell us why they are not "in
            the tradition" of Tolkien. "In the tradition of Tolkien" has become a
            catchall phrase for publishers trying to push fantasy books for quite some
            time now. Yet there really isn't a Tradition of Tolkien. Tolkien was very
            unique in almost all of his work. The use of historical truth blended into
            myth( myth is hstory In COLOR: read with Magic)(Please look into the works of
            Joseph Wambaugh). Tolkien reaches into the classsic myth form and through
            subtlety explores the morality play of prejudice, bigotry, the causes of war,
            and the search for liberty and honor. He explores the depths of humanity
            while allowing us to leave our own space (this earth) and see it from another
            side. Fantasy prior to Tolkien had not entered such classically true
            human emotions.
            Since the 60's Tolkien "Phenomena" or TolkienMania, fans of his work (and
            Lewis and others) have grown to be adults attempting to show the impact this
            work has had on their lives, their thinking, and their ideas of what should be
            the fantasy novel. The outpouring is great. THAT is in the Tradition of
            Tolkien.

            Just had to pour out these thoughts.

            LeslieJ55@...
            Hampton,VA
            A Hobbit speaks.
          • LeslieJ55@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25 2:54 AM
              Maria T.,
              sorry, one : got your name wrong when I wrote.

              Secondly: feeling slammed? yeah, that's fandom.

              A Hobbit Returns.
              LeslieJ55@...
              Hampton,VA
            • LeslieJ55@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25 2:55 AM
                Any old Mythies out there from 69-76 Los Angeles?

                Love to hear from you.

                LeslieJ55@...
                A Hobbit Returns.
              • c howlett
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 25 7:27 PM
                  Grace,
                  Thanks for the quote from G.K. Chesterton. I've read all his Father
                  Brown's, but never got into his poetry. I wonder if the literary theft was
                  unconscious; such a great line might hover in the back of your mind and
                  resurrect itself as one's own...
                  Christy
                  >You wrote "As for Terry Goodkind, he can be very rich, even with generics:
                  >cloaks of sable "thick, black,and soft as sin."
                  >Terry Goodkind did not make up that phrase (even though he may think he
                  >did, I suppose). He is quoting from the poem "Lepanto" by G.K. Chesterton.
                  >
                  >"King Philip's in his closet wiyh the Fleece about his neck,
                  >(Don John of Austria is armed upon the deck)
                  >The walls are hung with velvet that is blacvk and soft aas sin,
                  >And little dwarfs creep out of it and little dwarfs creep in."
                  >Grace E. Funk
                  >--------------
                  >

                  >Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333

                  >Come see our new web site! http://www.onelist.com
                • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 25 10:31 PM
                    At 05:55 AM 2/25/99 EST, LeslieJ55@... wrote:
                    >From: LeslieJ55@...
                    >
                    >Any old Mythies out there from 69-76 Los Angeles?

                    Hi -

                    Lisa Deutsch, San Fernando Valley, 1968-1970 (then I moved to Santa Cruz).
                    It was Paula Sigman's fault! There were only two or three branches when I
                    joined. Mythprint was the only publication. Glen GoodKnight went to every
                    branch meeting. Bonnie Callahan was Bonnie Bergstrom, and Sherwood Smith was
                    Christine Smith. They are both still active! How many other maiden names can
                    I drag up?

                    Lots of us oldtimers still running about after all these years. Must be
                    crazy about fantasy, or something...

                    What's your full name? I'm lousy at remembering names, but I might remember
                    something.

                    Mythically yours,

                    Lisa
                  • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 26 11:26 AM
                      Lisa,
                      good to hear from you. I was Leslie Mardis, strawberry blonde hair, friends
                      with Glen,Bonnie, Bernie, Tasha. You and I used to talk alot.

                      What happened with the group. I know Glen and Bonnie were divorcing when I
                      left in 1976. I married Patrick Maloney, also a member, and I know they had a
                      picnic after that. Bernie started the Phantasie Society for awhile. We saw
                      people off and on when we return to Calif. Pat was in the Navy. I am now
                      getting divorced.

                      I joined the sociiety in Feb 1969 with my friends Dawn Morris, Linda McGee,
                      and Anne Woods. I have photos of you from old yulemoots where we are talking.
                      You might think of me as a hobbit, because I was pretty well known for coming
                      to the 69 Bilbo -Frodo picnic as a Tim Kirk Hobbit with Shoes (from a drawing
                      by Tim). I dated alot of guys in the group: Chris Barzak, Alpajpuri(Paul
                      Novitski) and Chris Mitchell among some.

                      It is good to pick up on old friends. Its been a long long time. I have
                      traveled all over the US, have 2 kids, Brennan 21 married with baby due in
                      April, and Sean , 18 and aspiring writer.

                      Say Hi to anyone you know.

                      Oh, I was mostly San Fernando. Do explain he Paula Sigmon thing.

                      Cheers,
                      Leslie
                    • Diane Baker
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 27 11:29 AM
                        Grace E. Funk wrote:

                        > From: gfunk@... (Grace E. Funk)
                        >
                        > To Diane Baker
                        > You wrote "As for Terry Goodkind, he can be very rich, even with generics:
                        > cloaks of sable "thick, black,and soft as sin."
                        > Terry Goodkind did not make up that phrase (even though he may think he
                        > did, I suppose). He is quoting from the poem "Lepanto" by G.K. Chesterton.
                        >
                        > "King Philip's in his closet wiyh the Fleece about his neck,
                        > (Don John of Austria is armed upon the deck)
                        > The walls are hung with velvet that is blacvk and soft aas sin,
                        > And little dwarfs creep out of it and little dwarfs creep in."
                        > Grace E. Funk
                        >
                        > Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333

                        Thanks for the phrases' origins; Chesterton always came up with
                        wonderful phrases. Actually, I was talking about Martin in the quote,
                        though I did refer to Goodkind earlier. He's only a cut above Robert
                        Jordan---not that great.