Patrick Stewart CHRISTMAS CAROL

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 1999
      Mary wrote:

      >Closer in looks, feel, and text to the original than any adaptation I have
      >seen. Excellent!

      I've been a member of the Patrick Stewart fan club since the 1980s. I have
      Patrick Stewart reading "A Christmas Carol" on tape and it is outstanding.
      I play it every year. Therefore, I had high expectations for this
      production.

      Unfortunately, the production did not work for me. My opinion is that the
      best production of "A Christmas Carol" to date is the one starring the late
      George C. Scott as Scrooge.

      Joan

      * Joan Marie Verba verba001@... *
      * Mythopoeic Press Secretary *
      * List Administrator for Doctor's Exchange list, Mythopoeic Society list* *
      * MNSCBWI list, MNSCREENW list *
      * http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *
      * http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/FTL_Publications *
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
        Ted wrote:

        >Yes, I saw the '84 SP with Andrews and Jane Seymour as Lady Pimpernel.

        I saw that, too. It was great!

        >When was the recent Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on and what
        >network (Fox, if I heard on the radio correctly)? Anybody know if it'll
        >be replayed?

        It was on TNT.

        >And Joan, where'd you get the audiotape of Stewart's
        >one-man Christmas Carol? Is it still available?

        The ISBN is 0-671-76932-4. From Simon and Schuster audioworks.
        Barnes and Noble used to carry it, and may still have it.

        Joan

        * Joan Marie Verba verba001@... *
        * Mythopoeic Press Secretary *
        * List Administrator for Doctor's Exchange list, Mythopoeic Society list* *
        * MNSCBWI list, MNSCREENW list *
        * http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *
        * http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/FTL_Publications *
      • Brian D. Johnson
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
          > From: "Maureen Brown" <edolen@...>
          >
          > Christmas Present was Joel Gray; off hand can't remember the
          actor's name
          > who was Bob Cratchit, but he was also the Scarlett Pimpernel on
          A&E
          > recently.
          >
          > --Maureen

          If that Scarlett Pimpernel is the same as the one who appeared in 4
          episodes on BBC 1 in the past year, the actor is Richard E Grant.

          I suppose I must interject at this point:
          'They seek him here, they seek him there. . . ' :-)

          With great apologies,
          Brian

          Brian D. Johnson
          Postgraduate Student
          Dept. of Divinity
          University of Aberdeen, Scotland
          div163@...
        • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
            According to the Internet Movie Database (which answers all possible movie
            and TV questions), Bob Cratchit is Richard E. Grant, the First Spirit is Joel
            Grey, the Second Spirit is Desmond Barrit, and the Third Spirit is Tim
            Potter. Edward Petherbridge played Foster.

            You can find the Internet Movie Database at http://www.imdb.com
          • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
              In a message dated 12/06/1999 5:57:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              edolen@... writes:

              << Bob Cratchit, but he was also the Scarlett Pimpernel on A&E
              recently.

              Is this a new movie of SP or the one I sawin the UK on TV in 1984... Anthony
              Andrews I think it was.

              Uh, never mind, question already answered. Anyone else see that older one?

              Lizzie
            • Ted Sherman
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                Yes, I saw the '84 SP with Andrews and Jane Seymour as Lady Pimpernel.
                Who was it that played Robespierre--Michael York???

                When was the recent Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on and what
                network (Fox, if I heard on the radio correctly)? Anybody know if it'll
                be replayed? And Joan, where'd you get the audiotape of Stewart's
                one-man Christmas Carol? Is it still available?

                Ted

                ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                > From: ERATRIANO@...
                >
                > In a message dated 12/06/1999 5:57:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                > edolen@... writes:
                >
                > << Bob Cratchit, but he was also the Scarlett Pimpernel on A&E
                > recently.
                > >>
                > Is this a new movie of SP or the one I sawin the UK on TV in 1984... Anthony
                > Andrews I think it was.
                >
                > Uh, never mind, question already answered. Anyone else see that older one?
                >
                > Lizzie

                Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
                Mythlore: The Journal of the Mythopoeic Society
                Department of English, Box X041
                College of Liberal Arts
                Middle Tennessee State University
                Murfreesboro, TN 37130
                615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
                tsherman@...

                6545 Dynasty Drive
                Murfreesboro, TN 37128
                615 848-0898
                tedsherman@...
              • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                  In a message dated 12/6/99 8:23:36 AM Central Standard Time,
                  verba001@... writes:

                  > George C. Scott as Scrooge.

                  I agree - that was a good one too. But Stewart's was so close to the
                  original -- more so, if I recollect, than the Scott.

                  Mary S
                • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                    In a message dated 12/6/99 6:12:11 AM Central Standard Time,
                    WendellWag@... writes:

                    > According to the Internet Movie Database (which answers all possible movie
                    > and TV questions), Bob Cratchit is Richard E. Grant, the First Spirit is
                    > Joel
                    > Grey, the Second Spirit is Desmond Barrit, and the Third Spirit is Tim
                    > Potter. Edward Petherbridge played Foster.

                    O Lawered, Wendell, I'm embarrased I forgot to go to IMDB. Thanks for the
                    info! Yes, I saw Grant as the Pimpernel - what a difference. I recognized
                    Joel Grey. Don't know Desmond Barrit, but thought he was excellent.

                    I can't place "Foster." Must have been a minor part. Petherbridge, as some
                    will recall, played Lord Peter Wimsey in an excellent series of
                    dramatizations -- looked like him, too.

                    Mary S
                  • Diane Baker
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                      Stolzi@... wrote:

                      > From: Stolzi@...
                      >
                      > Closer in looks, feel, and text to the original than any adaptation I have
                      > seen. Excellent!

                      I still like the George C. Scott version (w/ Edward Woodward as the
                      Ghost of Christmas Present), though Stewart really shines when Scrooge
                      is redeemed; I think it's hard for Stewart to be really menacing and
                      mean of heart (though as a Borg, he was outstanding).

                      > But I couldn't resist saying "Captain's Log..." when Scrooge sat down at his
                      > ledger and began to write.

                      Sure!

                      > Can anyone tell me the casting for the Ghost of Christmas Present (who was
                      > very good), and for Bob Cratchit? Was the latter Edward Petherbridge?

                      I'll review my tape and hope they list everyone; the print was awfully
                      small and scrolled too quickly. ---djb.
                      > Mary S

                    • Berni Phillips
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                        Stolzi@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 12/6/99 8:23:36 AM Central Standard Time,
                        > verba001@... writes:
                        >
                        > > George C. Scott as Scrooge.
                        >
                        > I agree - that was a good one too. But Stewart's was so close to the
                        > original -- more so, if I recollect, than the Scott.
                        >
                        > Mary S

                        My favorite version is "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol."

                        Berni ("I'd like some razzleberry dressing.")
                      • Eleanor Farrell
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                          Well, I have to say my favorite is _The Muppets Christmas Carol_. .......
                          gotta love that Marley duo and the ghost of Christmas Future was pretty
                          scary. Michael Caine was sure having a lot of fun, too.

                          Ellie

                          Eleanor M. Farrell
                          Editor, Mythprint
                          P.O. Box 320486
                          San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
                          E-mail: emfarrell@...

                          Mythprint: Mythopoeic Society newsletter