Patrick Stewart CHRISTMAS CAROL

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 1999
      Mary wrote:

      >Closer in looks, feel, and text to the original than any adaptation I have
      >seen. Excellent!

      I've been a member of the Patrick Stewart fan club since the 1980s. I have
      Patrick Stewart reading "A Christmas Carol" on tape and it is outstanding.
      I play it every year. Therefore, I had high expectations for this
      production.

      Unfortunately, the production did not work for me. My opinion is that the
      best production of "A Christmas Carol" to date is the one starring the late
      George C. Scott as Scrooge.

      Joan

      * Joan Marie Verba verba001@... *
      * Mythopoeic Press Secretary *
      * List Administrator for Doctor's Exchange list, Mythopoeic Society list* *
      * MNSCBWI list, MNSCREENW list *
      * http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *
      * http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/FTL_Publications *
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
        Ted wrote:

        >Yes, I saw the '84 SP with Andrews and Jane Seymour as Lady Pimpernel.

        I saw that, too. It was great!

        >When was the recent Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on and what
        >network (Fox, if I heard on the radio correctly)? Anybody know if it'll
        >be replayed?

        It was on TNT.

        >And Joan, where'd you get the audiotape of Stewart's
        >one-man Christmas Carol? Is it still available?

        The ISBN is 0-671-76932-4. From Simon and Schuster audioworks.
        Barnes and Noble used to carry it, and may still have it.

        Joan

        * Joan Marie Verba verba001@... *
        * Mythopoeic Press Secretary *
        * List Administrator for Doctor's Exchange list, Mythopoeic Society list* *
        * MNSCBWI list, MNSCREENW list *
        * http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *
        * http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/FTL_Publications *
      • Maureen Brown
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
          Christmas Present was Joel Gray; off hand can't remember the actor's name
          who was Bob Cratchit, but he was also the Scarlett Pimpernel on A&E
          recently.

          --Maureen

          On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 00:05:09 EST, Stolzi@... wrote:

          > Closer in looks, feel, and text to the original than any adaptation I have

          > seen. Excellent!
          >
          > But I couldn't resist saying "Captain's Log..." when Scrooge sat down at
          his
          > ledger and began to write.
          >
          > Can anyone tell me the casting for the Ghost of Christmas Present (who was

          > very good), and for Bob Cratchit? Was the latter Edward Petherbridge?

          > Mary S

        • Brian D. Johnson
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
            > From: "Maureen Brown" <edolen@...>
            >
            > Christmas Present was Joel Gray; off hand can't remember the
            actor's name
            > who was Bob Cratchit, but he was also the Scarlett Pimpernel on
            A&E
            > recently.
            >
            > --Maureen

            If that Scarlett Pimpernel is the same as the one who appeared in 4
            episodes on BBC 1 in the past year, the actor is Richard E Grant.

            I suppose I must interject at this point:
            'They seek him here, they seek him there. . . ' :-)

            With great apologies,
            Brian

            Brian D. Johnson
            Postgraduate Student
            Dept. of Divinity
            University of Aberdeen, Scotland
            div163@...
          • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
              According to the Internet Movie Database (which answers all possible movie
              and TV questions), Bob Cratchit is Richard E. Grant, the First Spirit is Joel
              Grey, the Second Spirit is Desmond Barrit, and the Third Spirit is Tim
              Potter. Edward Petherbridge played Foster.

              You can find the Internet Movie Database at http://www.imdb.com
            • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                In a message dated 12/06/1999 5:57:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                edolen@... writes:

                << Bob Cratchit, but he was also the Scarlett Pimpernel on A&E
                recently.

                Is this a new movie of SP or the one I sawin the UK on TV in 1984... Anthony
                Andrews I think it was.

                Uh, never mind, question already answered. Anyone else see that older one?

                Lizzie
              • Ted Sherman
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                  Yes, I saw the '84 SP with Andrews and Jane Seymour as Lady Pimpernel.
                  Who was it that played Robespierre--Michael York???

                  When was the recent Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on and what
                  network (Fox, if I heard on the radio correctly)? Anybody know if it'll
                  be replayed? And Joan, where'd you get the audiotape of Stewart's
                  one-man Christmas Carol? Is it still available?

                  Ted

                  ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                  > From: ERATRIANO@...
                  >
                  > In a message dated 12/06/1999 5:57:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  > edolen@... writes:
                  >
                  > << Bob Cratchit, but he was also the Scarlett Pimpernel on A&E
                  > recently.
                  > >>
                  > Is this a new movie of SP or the one I sawin the UK on TV in 1984... Anthony
                  > Andrews I think it was.
                  >
                  > Uh, never mind, question already answered. Anyone else see that older one?
                  >
                  > Lizzie

                  Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
                  Mythlore: The Journal of the Mythopoeic Society
                  Department of English, Box X041
                  College of Liberal Arts
                  Middle Tennessee State University
                  Murfreesboro, TN 37130
                  615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
                  tsherman@...

                  6545 Dynasty Drive
                  Murfreesboro, TN 37128
                  615 848-0898
                  tedsherman@...
                • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                    In a message dated 12/6/99 8:23:36 AM Central Standard Time,
                    verba001@... writes:

                    > George C. Scott as Scrooge.

                    I agree - that was a good one too. But Stewart's was so close to the
                    original -- more so, if I recollect, than the Scott.

                    Mary S
                  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                      In a message dated 12/6/99 6:12:11 AM Central Standard Time,
                      WendellWag@... writes:

                      > According to the Internet Movie Database (which answers all possible movie
                      > and TV questions), Bob Cratchit is Richard E. Grant, the First Spirit is
                      > Joel
                      > Grey, the Second Spirit is Desmond Barrit, and the Third Spirit is Tim
                      > Potter. Edward Petherbridge played Foster.

                      O Lawered, Wendell, I'm embarrased I forgot to go to IMDB. Thanks for the
                      info! Yes, I saw Grant as the Pimpernel - what a difference. I recognized
                      Joel Grey. Don't know Desmond Barrit, but thought he was excellent.

                      I can't place "Foster." Must have been a minor part. Petherbridge, as some
                      will recall, played Lord Peter Wimsey in an excellent series of
                      dramatizations -- looked like him, too.

                      Mary S
                    • Diane Baker
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                        Stolzi@... wrote:

                        > From: Stolzi@...
                        >
                        > Closer in looks, feel, and text to the original than any adaptation I have
                        > seen. Excellent!

                        I still like the George C. Scott version (w/ Edward Woodward as the
                        Ghost of Christmas Present), though Stewart really shines when Scrooge
                        is redeemed; I think it's hard for Stewart to be really menacing and
                        mean of heart (though as a Borg, he was outstanding).

                        > But I couldn't resist saying "Captain's Log..." when Scrooge sat down at his
                        > ledger and began to write.

                        Sure!

                        > Can anyone tell me the casting for the Ghost of Christmas Present (who was
                        > very good), and for Bob Cratchit? Was the latter Edward Petherbridge?

                        I'll review my tape and hope they list everyone; the print was awfully
                        small and scrolled too quickly. ---djb.
                        > Mary S

                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                          Stolzi@... wrote:

                          > In a message dated 12/6/99 8:23:36 AM Central Standard Time,
                          > verba001@... writes:
                          >
                          > > George C. Scott as Scrooge.
                          >
                          > I agree - that was a good one too. But Stewart's was so close to the
                          > original -- more so, if I recollect, than the Scott.
                          >
                          > Mary S

                          My favorite version is "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol."

                          Berni ("I'd like some razzleberry dressing.")
                        • Eleanor Farrell
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                            Well, I have to say my favorite is _The Muppets Christmas Carol_. .......
                            gotta love that Marley duo and the ghost of Christmas Future was pretty
                            scary. Michael Caine was sure having a lot of fun, too.

                            Ellie

                            Eleanor M. Farrell
                            Editor, Mythprint
                            P.O. Box 320486
                            San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
                            E-mail: emfarrell@...

                            Mythprint: Mythopoeic Society newsletter