Christmas fantasy

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 1999
      Mary, what a good suggestion! I always try to reread Dickens' _A Christmas
      Carol_ at this time of year (sometimes it's so easy to get lazy and just
      watch one of the movies -- my favorite being the Muppets' recent take on
      the story). There's a recent quasi-sequel called _Jacob Marley's Christmas
      Carol_ by Tom Mula (Adams Publishing, 1994) which I thought pretty decent.

      Connie Willis has been writing Christmas-themed short stories for the
      magazine _Fantasy & SF_ and these have just been published in a book
      collection called _Miracle and Other Christmas Stories_. (Bantam Spectra).
      I just saw this in a bookstore and it's definitely going on my list!

      I can't think of any other books at present but hope that other list
      members will send in their favorites!

      Happy Holidays,

      Ellie

      Eleanor M. Farrell
      Editor, Mythprint
      P.O. Box 320486
      San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      E-mail: emfarrell@...

      Mythprint: Mythopoeic Society newsletter
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
        Eleanor Farrell [emfarrell@...] wrote:
        > Connie Willis has been writing Christmas-themed short stories for the
        > magazine _Fantasy & SF_ and these have just been published in a book
        > collection called _Miracle and Other Christmas Stories_. (Bantam Spectra).
        > I just saw this in a bookstore and it's definitely going on my list!

        I just finished _Miracle_ and overall enjoyed it. It's the usual quirkiness
        one expects from Willis's stories. I recommend it to anyone wanting some good
        Christmas stories. Willis also has a good introduction that discusses why so
        many Christmas stories are flat, as well as a good, er, 'dissing' of 'It's a
        Wonderful Life.' It's a riot.

        "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
        --Jorge Luis Borges
        Currently reading: The Stars Compel by Michaela Roessner
      • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
          Here's another half-forgotten query from Princess Airhead:

          Thought it was in my Cheever book, but it's not. Must be in Dad's Christmas
          stories. Anyway, I think it's Biblical in time and geography, protagonist is
          a beggar boy whose master tells him he has ugly eyes and to turn them on
          those he begs from to get them to give him alms. If you've read it you know
          the magic & the ending... anyone?

          Lizzie
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
            > From: Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>

            > Connie Willis has been writing Christmas-themed short stories for the
            > magazine _Fantasy & SF_ and these have just been published in a book
            > collection called _Miracle and Other Christmas Stories_. (Bantam Spectra).
            > I just saw this in a bookstore and it's definitely going on my list!

            And, don't forget, that Willis' _Doomsday Book_ takes place at Christmas
            in the modern part. I really enjoyed her descriptions of what
            21st-century church musicians did to standard Christmas carols. And we
            think it's bad now!

            Berni

            ***Get away from there! Don't come any higher!***