Re: Elsie Dinsmore ?

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 1999
      Suspect the MacDonald title Lizzie was thinking of was =Sir Gibbie=.
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 1999
        ERATRIANO@... wrote:

        > My question today is, has anyone heard of the Elsie Dinsmore books by Martha
        > Finley?
        >
        > Lizzie "Princess Airhead"

        (My e-mail connection would send for a day, so I'm posting a bit late on
        this.)

        I hesitate to admit this, but I loved _Elsie Dinsmore_ as a girl. I
        felt akin to her in her spiritual struggles. What she was trying to be
        was how good Catholic girls were supposed to be. (Elsie definitely
        wasn't Catholic, but it was the same root-out-all-traces-of-sin
        mentality I grew up with.)

        I didn't find out until I was an adult that there was a series. I found
        out that a childhood friend of mine -- her family had moved away in
        junior high and she moved back into the area as an adult and we ran into
        each other at a party --collected them. Ironically, she's an athiest,
        raised by athiests -- the last person you'd think to be reading Elsie
        Dinsmore. I had gotten her hooked on the first book. (For those of you
        who haven't read Elsie, she tries to be the perfect little Christian
        girl, the perfect goody-2-shoes who turns the other cheek all the time.)

        I no longer have the original (it was a cheap paperback that fell apart
        years ago due to all the re-readings). Hmmm, maybe I should look for it
        and the sequels?

        Berni Phillips

        P.S. to Khazad-dum: I promise *not* to read from it at the Reading &
        Eating Meeting!
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 1999
          Berni Phillips wrote:

          > (My e-mail connection would send for a day, so I'm posting a bit late on
          > this.)

          Aaarrgghh! That should have been "would NOT send for a day." I
          couldn't mail anything out.

          Never mind.
        • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 1999
            In a message dated 12/05/1999 7:11:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            bernip@... writes:

            << Reading &
            Eating Meeting! >>
            This sounds like something about my speed! LOLOL.

            Berni: Did you see the website for Elsie? www.elsiedinsmore.com. Pretty
            easy. Good luck if you want to get books... I think availability comes and
            goes. They are also available on tape, I think, at least some are. If I do
            get the doll ever, I will then have an extra of the 1st one. And she's kind
            of next on my list of expensive toys LOL.

            It had occurred to me, despite my difficulties with the book, that since the
            characterization seems good, it might appeal to someone if it hooked them
            right. I just can't deal with the constantly-beaten-on-poor-little-girl
            thing, which come to think of it is probably just as much "period" as
            "religious," perhaps even more so... I am struggling on determinedly during
            my little snips of reading time. So does it get better?

            Lizzie
          • David Lenander
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
              I've been sick and busy and haven't kept up with this list very well, but a few
              years ago we had some discussion of Elsie Dinsmore in _Once Upon a Time_, the
              children's fantasy apa (no, we didn't think Elsie was a fantasy, at least not in
              our usual sense). Like Bernie, I liked the book when I read it in about 5th
              grade. I did read a couple of the sequels, too. My grandmother had recommended
              them, along with a book called _Merrylips_, which was a historical set in
              Commonwealth England, about a sweet little girl. I also liked Burnett's _A
              Little Princess_ and _Little Lord Fauntleroy_. But those books had a lot more
              character than Elsie, I'm afraid. I read most of the Beany Malone books about
              that time, too. I never could really believe in Elsie, though, because she was
              impossibly just too put upon and too good through it all. And all of her
              relatives, except for one cousin, were too uniformly horrible. Also, _Five Little
              Peppers_ (was there only one of those?).

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                David has about given the wrapup on =Elsie Dinsmore.= I went back to the
                site I gave, btw, and it only gets through Chapters 3 and 4. Too bad. I was
                looking for the famous chapter where Elsie sits on the piano stool, obeying
                her father as far as possible but refusing to play on a Sunday, until she
                faints and falls off (!) This made a great impression on my mother, who
                recounted it to me, and also on Cornelia Otis Skinner, who in her
                autobiographical reminiscences remembers trying a similar scene on her actor
                parents, who were amiably mystified but tolerant.

                I hope David's not putting FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS in the same bag. It has
                spunky children with some interesting obstacles to overcome. Unfortunately,
                in the first book, they really overcome them all (by being adopted into the
                family of a rich gentleman) and the sequels never measure up, in my opinion.
                To answer his question, there were several of these published, but most are
                o.p., and I only found two of them at the library when I got in the mood to
                look up the Peppers this summer. However, one of those I found answers the
                interesting question, "Who did Polly Pepper marry?" -- and I can also give
                those who haven't read the sequels the interesting information that Mrs
                Pepper, too, married again.

                I owned the first book as a child and read it with great interest, being an
                only child myself and not having any intimate acquaintance with the kind of
                hardscrabble poverty described in FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS. Also I was too young
                to get a lot of the period references, and indeed, I am still mystified as to
                why an "old boot top" should be one of Davy Pepper's prize possessions, how
                cut-up leather could be used to mend a stove, or why, in a New England state
                (Massachusetts, if I recall) where public education was perhaps more
                prevalent than anywhere else in the country (and all praise to New England
                for that), Mrs. Pepper keeps moaning on about not having any money for her
                children to go to school.

                Mary S
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                  ERATRIANO@... wrote: [re Elsie]

                  > It had occurred to me, despite my difficulties with the book, that since the
                  > characterization seems good, it might appeal to someone if it hooked them
                  > right. I just can't deal with the constantly-beaten-on-poor-little-girl
                  > thing, which come to think of it is probably just as much "period" as
                  > "religious," perhaps even more so... I am struggling on determinedly during
                  > my little snips of reading time. So does it get better?

                  I haven't read it in 30 years. I honestly can't remember how it ends.
                  I just remember her earnest attempts at perfection, her uncle being
                  younger than her, and things like trying to write with the old-style
                  pens without making any blots to spoil her pages. It's more the
                  atmosphere I remember. I can't recall the plot at all.

                  Berni
                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 1999
                    Stolzi@... wrote:

                    > I hope David's not putting FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS in the same bag. It has
                    > spunky children with some interesting obstacles to overcome.
                    >
                    > I owned the first book as a child and read it with great interest, being an
                    > only child myself and not having any intimate acquaintance with the kind of
                    > hardscrabble poverty described in FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS. Also I was too young
                    > to get a lot of the period references, and indeed, I am still mystified as to
                    > why an "old boot top" should be one of Davy Pepper's prize possessions, how
                    > cut-up leather could be used to mend a stove, or why, in a New England state
                    > (Massachusetts, if I recall) where public education was perhaps more
                    > prevalent than anywhere else in the country (and all praise to New England
                    > for that), Mrs. Pepper keeps moaning on about not having any money for her
                    > children to go to school.
                    >
                    > Mary S

                    Indeed. (I also read a couple of the Pepper books.) What mystified me
                    about money and school was _Girl of the Limberlost_ and trying to raise
                    money to go to high school! Her mother, who was poor, considered it a
                    luxury.

                    Berni
                  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 7, 1999
                      I am rather aghast at Christian homeschoolers of today exposing their
                      children to Elsie Dinsmore's Mammy Chloe, who wears a spotless turban (of
                      course) and is given to remarks like "Bress de Lawd, Ah knows Jesus loves
                      =me=, too, jes' the same as if Ah wuz white." Mammy Chloe can't even pore
                      over the Bible herself - Elsie has to read it to her.

                      I suppose the Girl of the Limberlost needed money for suitable clothes and
                      also transportation - didn't she live a long way from the high school? And I
                      think maybe in the old days you had to buy your textbooks even if the
                      education was free.

                      We were given ours, but had to turn 'em in at the end of the year, so some
                      got more battered books than others. We were also given, and required to
                      use, a set of fold-and-stick brown paper book covers printed up by the State;
                      I find that graven in my memory forever is the lead motto (for State Parks, I
                      guess) "Education and Recreation in the School of the Great Outdoors."

                      Never thought 'til now of the irony of reading this over and over as we sat
                      firmly imprisoned in the School of =Indoors=.

                      Mary S
                    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 7, 1999
                        Since we are wandering somewhat afield just now, I'll mention F. Marion
                        Crawford.

                        Just finished an oldie I picked up in a local antique barn for 5 bucks. It's
                        THE WHITE SISTER by F. Marion Crawford, pub. 1912. Such a sentimental and
                        romantical brew, ala =Beau Geste=! The frontispiece is a picture of some
                        well-known actress of the time in the role of The White Sister.

                        Looked up Crawford on the 'net and it turns out he is remembered today only
                        for shockers, ghost-stories and the like ("The Screaming Skull" is one of his
                        top titles). One of the pages where I learned this is a set of links with
                        the engaging title "Gaslight Fiction" - this seems to cover everything from
                        shlockmeisters like Crawford to =real= writers of the period such as
                        Turgenev, Chekhov, or de Maupassant. I wonder who he was. "Francis Marion"
                        are two good first names for a South Carolinian.

                        Mary S
                      • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 8, 1999
                          In a message dated 12/6/99 5:07:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
                          writes:

                          > I hope David's not putting FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS in the same bag.
                          > It has spunky children with some interesting obstacles to overcome.
                          > Unfortunately, in the first book, they really overcome them all (by
                          > being adopted into the family of a rich gentleman) and the sequels
                          > never measure up, in my opinion. . . I owned the first book as a
                          > child and read it with great interest, being an only child myself and
                          > not having any intimate acquaintance with the kind of hardscrabble
                          > poverty described in FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS.

                          Is this the book I think I remember? I probably read this somewhere between
                          1960 and 1962. By that point it was way out of fashion, so it was probably
                          something that my mother had read as a child and had sitting around. Even
                          then I found the idea that your best hope of getting out of poverty was to be
                          adopted by a rich man to be strange. I can't call my family poor, more like
                          struggling working-class. My father made enough working a job and a half
                          that we might have been middle-class if my parents hadn't been silly enough
                          to have eight kids.

                          If I'm remembering the right book, I found it funny when the kids in that
                          book talked about how "someday our ship will come in". I had never heard
                          that phrase before (in the meaning of "someday we'll make our fortune"). I
                          thought that was hilarious. I remember telling my mother, "Mom, our ship
                          just came in. Unfortunately, it hit the side of the pier and sank." Boy, I
                          was one snide, cynical little kid. But then I'm also one snide, cynical
                          adult.