MereLewis... or not

  • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 1999
      Well, I had a look at the MereLewis site, and it's a good site and I've saved
      it, but I'm not ready to focus on CSL right now. Too little time, too many
      distractions. Also, I am more inclined to move forward to the present, like
      I want to see what else Ms. Wills has out, because much as I love CSL and CW
      and George MacDonald and so on, they are further and further in the past and
      I live in the present and the future... I want my writing to live there too.
      Not to say that they don't speak to us, I think we all know they do, but
      don't we want to keep pushing forward?

      I like that idea of old book / new book. How do you count a book started in
      the past but not finished? ggg When I get it together a little more I will
      try again at Kazantzakis "Report to Greco," I think his stuff is just
      transcendental.

      Lizzie
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
        ERATRIANO@... wrote:

        > From: ERATRIANO@...
        >
        > I want my writing to live there too.

        I'd like to know more. I'm also writing a series of fantasies, but on
        this list, who isn't!? :-) The impulse for fantasy extends very far
        for some of us!

        > I like that idea of old book / new book. How do you count a book started in
        > the past but not finished? ggg When I get it together a little more I will
        > try again at Kazantzakis "Report to Greco," I think his stuff is just
        > transcendental.

        For me, unfinished books are still "new," in terms of "a fresh reading
        experience." I think CSL was also thinking about "new" meaning
        "modern." I think he'd very much argue with you about confining
        yourself to modern works. He felt a great deal of modern stuff was
        rubbish---not all of it, of course. He was of the opinion that reading
        books from historical periods gets me out of our common 20th century
        time-trap, and refreshes my point of view about things.

        Katzantakis sounds interesting; I saw the film *Last Temptation of
        Christ* (and couldn't figure what all the ruckus was about since it all
        took place within the context of a dream, and reinforced the need for
        Christ to die on the Cross.) I have not read the book, alas, and have
        not seen *Report from Greco.* ---djb.

      • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
          In a message dated 12/06/1999 10:45:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          dianejoy@... writes:

          << I think he'd very much argue with you about confining
          yourself to modern works. >>
          Oh, this cyberchat, it's so difficult sometimes! ggg I guess what I mean
          is, I've read so MUCH that is of the past... I don't want to be confined
          THERE. Rather than the other way around. It's like assertiveness training,
          ggg, making an effort to do what does Not come naturally.

          Lizzie Princess Airhead who needs to add "so many books, so little time!" and
          something about writing to that sig line ...

          Lizzie the Bitchen Biker Turkey Buzzard Grinnin' Doll Playin' Freedom of
          Speech Speekin' But Backs Off When The Coals Get A Wee Bit Hot Beadin' Babe!

          Turkey what? www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/2003/page16.html
          (note this is NOT My homepage, I don't have one.)

          They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall
          be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea. (Isaiah
          11:9)
        • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
            dianejoy@... writes:

            << Katzantakis sounds interesting; I saw the film *Last Temptation of
            Christ* (and couldn't figure what all the ruckus was about since it all
            took place within the context of a dream, and reinforced the need for
            Christ to die on the Cross.) I have not read the book, alas, and have
            not seen *Report from Greco.* - >>
            "Report to Greco," and it's a book. Read Kazantzakis. he's delicious. Try
            "Saint Francis," if you like. I love his story of wherefrom the bat.

            Lizzie