Spirit of the Inklings

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 10, 2003
      Thank you, David, for putting this so aptly.

      Peace,
      Paul Labaki

      From: David S Bratman <dbratman@...>
      Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:33:14 -0800
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Rowling - an Inkling??

      Lizzie, what do you mean? That writing in the spirit of the Inklings
      should be currently pertinent? Lewis wouldn't think so. He says somewhere
      that nothing goes out of date faster than that which tries hardest to stay
      up to date. (My own phrasing of this, conceived independently, is "Those
      who live by the cutting edge die by the cutting edge.") The Inklings were
      in search of what was eternally up to date, and that is why their 40 to 70
      year old novels are still meaningful and read today. LOTR in particular
      was considered by many to be ludicrously out of step with the current
      concerns of the 1950s, but the Inklings suspected it would wear better than
      many of the more typical cultural artifacts of the era, and they were
      right. Those who admired it when it was new thought it would be a
      masterpiece at any date.

      That spirit is part of what I'm looking for when I'm searching for new
      books in the spirit of the Inklings. I want books that would have been
      just as good if they were published 50 years ago as they are now, because
      those are the ones that will be just as good 50 years from now.

      - David Bratman

      At 07:23 AM 3/1/2003 -0500, Lizzie Triano wrote:

      >I think it is worth discussing. I don't know what my opinion is on the
      >specific Rowling question, but I have long been developing the opinion that
      >the Inkling Spirit today would be perhaps unrecognizable to the Inklings
      >Then. After all, the churches probably are, post-Vatican-II and ordaining
      >women priests, arguing the various sex and social justice issues, and all
      >sorts of such things. There is surrealism and spirituality in the
      >non-churched (which was of course true in the Victorian era), and there
      >needs must be practicality and stuff in the church (which I would imagine
      >there was among veteran Christians such as Tolkien, more than among today's
      >peace-raised peoples). We are not hungry enough, we are too content. What
      >would the Spirit tell stories about today?

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
      var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] =
      "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
      27:HM/A=1430287/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
      uite=A33405"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile =
      'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/intl_library_of_poetry/yahoo_3
      00x250.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL =
      "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
      27:HM/A=1430287/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?
      Suite=A33405"; var lrec_altimg =
      "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/intl_library_of_poetry/yahoo_3
      00x250.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Paul F. Labaki
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 10, 2003

        From: David S Bratman <dbratman@...>